Adding 3rd input

Deadahead · 1277

Offline Deadahead

on: November 12, 2016, 04:55:11 AM
Hello,

I am lurker mainly and this is my first post- so hello to all. I have a quick question. I bought a quickie 1.1 from a guy on Craigslist. I really enjoyed this preamp and it sounds wonderful. I want add third input. Can I use the current input selector switch to add this third input or do I need to buy a different one?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:20:28 AM
Welcome.

I have an older version (1.0) of the quickie so I'm not sure of what type of switch is being used. You could probably source a rotary switch that has another position to accommodate another input. Then you have to find a place to drill a couple of holes in the acrylic plate, install the RCA jacks, wire them etc. Honestly I'm not sure its worth the effort. I've used an outboard selector switch in the past when I was in this situation. It worked surprisingly well and it wont break the bank either. Something to think about.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/browse/Source-Selectors/0000000292
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:27:38 AM by Natural Sound »

Offline Deadahead

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:30:03 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a rotary switch on my quickie. I will look into this outboard selector switch.

Eric

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 09:52:36 AM
The rotary switch switches the power as well as the selected channel, so it's a little involved to make that change.

Paul Joppa

Offline ewingfox

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 08:29:09 AM
I was going to create a separate thread on this... but building quickie #2 and want to eliminate the rotary switch entirely and have one source and just a ganged power switch for the two tube heaters and the 36v circuit.  The technical reason for this is for my upstairs listening room - the two rotary dials are not passing SAF, and the exposed batteries aren't either :)  Quickie 2.0 is going in a custom aluminum enclosure internal tubes, remote battery box, single volume knob on the front, LED status light and rear connectors.   I have a novel way to deal with the microphonics, but It isn't 100% sorted out yet... as a teaser, the name is gonna be "Lead Balloon". :)

Any pointers on eliminating the rotary switch entirely would be appreciated!

Thanks ,

Ewing

**edit** just realized "The Brick" has done what I am doing - except for the "Lead Balloon" component.  that everyone will have to wait on :) **

« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:37:50 AM by ewingfox »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:47:57 AM
Eliminating the rotary switch means adding a power switch that will open both 3S4 heaters when set to "Off".  There is no need to switch the B+.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man