TD160 Face lift with LP12 BooPlinth Hack

JamieMcC · 3200

Offline JamieMcC

on: November 19, 2016, 07:34:03 AM
I picked up an old beat up Thorens TD160 a while back with the intention of making it a bit of a project. Its been sat on the shelf in the garage since but during a bit of net surfing on some turntable stuff last week I stumbled across the BooPlinth which is a Bamboo aftermarket plinth for the Linn Sondek LP12 with a whopping £1,950 price tag!  http://www.booplinth.com/

My pockets are not that deep but it did spark my imagination and after a quick measure up of the TD160 I found a new use for a Ikea Bamboo chopping board (I picked a few extra up on my last visit to the store). I finished putting it all back together yesterday and hooked up to the Eros ;D

I'm pretty chuffed with how this one has turned out.

Cheers
Jamie

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline adeep42

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 08:43:16 AM
Wow!!! That is just stunning. The carbon fiber looks awesome. But that's not just any TD-160. You've got an SME tonearm. What cartridge are you using?

Btw, do you know this site; www.vinylnirvana.com

Alan

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 08:45:14 AM
Very nice!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 12:21:34 PM
Very nice. Makes me wonder the lp 12 plinth I made out of blood wood would be worth what???

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 10:18:27 AM
Wow!!! That is just stunning. The carbon fiber looks awesome. But that's not just any TD-160. You've got an SME tonearm. What cartridge are you using?

Btw, do you know this site; www.vinylnirvana.com

Alan

Hi Alan

I'm using a vintage A&R P77 cart with a Jico SAS stylus. I recently picked up a Shure V15 mark III which should arrive this week luckily both the P77 and Shure can use the same Jico SAS stylus  ;)   

Thanks for the nice feed back and thanks to Bottlehead as well Doc it was you guys and the many posts on the forum that opened my eyes to a whole new exciting world of DIY audio.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:22:10 AM by JamieMcC »

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 04:33:05 AM
Simply gorgeous! Where did you get the carbon fiber?  And most importantly, how does it sound?

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:02:29 PM
Simply gorgeous! Where did you get the carbon fiber?  And most importantly, how does it sound?

The carbon fibre I use sometimes in my day job as a boatbuilder so I keep a small stock of different grades of fabric and resins.

It sounds good and I have an idea for another LP12 inspired mod for it which I hope will make it sound even better if it works ;)

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 02:38:06 AM
Finished making and installing my other LP12 inspired mod yesterday a carbon fibre subframe  ::) Sounds good so far. Its a about half a kilo lighter than the metal one and is more ridged. Next step is to try adding that half a kilo of mass back into the underside of the flywheel.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:56:54 AM by JamieMcC »