answer right under my nose?

rockdrummer · 1704

Offline rockdrummer

on: November 19, 2016, 08:57:12 PM
Hi everyone.  I am looking for a solution to my volume control dilemma.  I have an original stereomour not quite done yet.  I also have a speaker kit almost done.  Long time coming, but getting there for both projects. 

Anyway, it just occurred to me that I won't have a way to control volume when I go from the cd player, and split to the sub amps and stereomour.  Could someone explain the rca/input-output situation with the quickie?

It seems that it's late and I'm not sure I understand how best to utilize the quickie.  Would the cd player go into the quickie and then I could split to the stereomour and sub amps?  Noob question--the quickie has a volume control knob, right? 

Thanks for any help....

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 03:31:40 AM
The stereomour as well as the Quickie both have volume controls. What I would do is connect the sub amps to the output of the stereomour so it's volume controls both the mains and subs...John

John Scanlon

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 03:49:24 AM
Is that utilizing the best sound possible? I assume you mean output at speaker level. Isn't the line level going to sound better? Sorry, maybe I'm not understanding.

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 05:19:56 AM
I have tried to search out how others have done this. I think after a nights sleep and a clear head, I think I have a better idea how this can work. I am making this more challenging than it really is.

I can go out of the quickie, split to sub and stereomour.

1. The preamp signal to the servo amps is perfectly safe?
2. The volume on the stereomour will either stay in one place, (where?) Or get removed all together.?.?.

Thanks for any advice if I'm not on the right track.
Ben

Offline kgoss

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 06:36:55 AM
You have lots of options and I like PJ's suggestion in these situations. Experiment and use your own ears to decide what is best. Of course report back what you learn to benefit the community.

If you have speaker level inputs on your sub try them from the stereomour. Proponents of this say you will get the "signature or character" of the driving amp (stereomour).  If there are only line level inputs on the sub you could either wire a pair of the stereomour inputs as RCA outputs to the sub. Or add another pair of RCAs as outputs. In either case you send the output of the stereomour volume control to the output RCAs. Others have done this so a forum search will give you instructions.

Or you are can put a preamp between your sources and amps. You will either need dual preamp outputs or use Y cable adapters. You mentioned the quickie but any preamp will work including the Submissive. In that case you would be adding BH's premium attenuators to the chain with no gain stage.

Lots of options!

Ken Goss

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 07:49:22 AM
Boy, never thought of the input additions of the stereomour.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try the quickie route  first.

Ben

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 10:14:39 AM
1. The preamp signal to the servo amps is perfectly safe?

"servo" means the sub amps, right?

2. The volume on the stereomour will either stay in one place, (where?) Or get removed all together.?.?.

I would keep the Stereomour volume control, so that you can adjust for optimum gain structure. Here's a link to my white paper on signal/noise: http://bottlehead.com/signals-noise-and-signal-to-noise-ratio/  It's kind of long and complex, but once you get the concept it's very useful.

Paul Joppa

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 10:57:02 AM
Sorry, yes, servo means sub amps.  One for each side.

I will give that paper a try.  Not promising that I will understand it though!

ben

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 11:03:22 AM
You can do as you describe with a Quickie, you just need a couple of RCA splitters at the output.

Wiring from the Steremour to the sub amp with speaker cables will also work, but hum from the AC heated Stereomour may not be something you want to feed your sub.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline rockdrummer

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 07:27:19 AM
Thanks PB.

If my sub input impedance is 30K, and the original Stereomour is 100K, what does that mean for the quickie?  I apologize for being so uninformed, but am I looking for the load impedance rating of the quickie?

I have a less than basic understanding of ohms, capacitance, resistance, etc.  So these calculations i have to figure out if the preamp will handle the split, might look like this?

(30 X 100)/(30+100)=23 something?

I feel like I have dipped my toe in the world of electricity and I need to start reading textbooks.  THere seems like so much to learn.

Thanks for any help.
Ben

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 12:50:55 PM
Yeah, that puts you at 23,000 Ohms.  This is still quite reasonable for a Quickie. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man