Anyone Reduction-ing (w/o Integration) + SUT & DL-103?

Downhome Upstate · 2137

Offline Downhome Upstate

on: November 23, 2016, 09:36:00 AM
I've read that low-gain tube phono stages work really well with SUTs and the old Denon 103. Anybody doing that, and if so, how's that working out for you?

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.

Offline adeep42

Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 10:00:55 AM
I'm using an Eros, SUT and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. Couldn't be happier.

Alan

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:11:38 AM
I'm using an Eros, SUT and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. Couldn't be happier.

Alan

I've got an Eros (love it). It seemed to me that pairing my Auditorium A23 SUT & the DL-103 with the Eros produced a somewhat bloated sound, if that groks. That is, I didn't get the kind of low level detail and harmonic sweetness that I (think that I) remember when I used that SUT and cart with the Seduction + C4S I used to have. That was glorious, into a Stereomour and a pair of Orcas.

Hence my question. I'll hide behind the trash can now and wait for Josh or Doc to tell me I'm an idiot.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline adeep42

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:34 AM
The Eros does have more gain, and that might be your problem.

Alan

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:06:20 PM
I gave up on the DL-103 and sold mine I just couldnt get it dialled in correctly. I tried all sorts of options to try and get it to sing and while it did sound pretty good it was just not as good as I was used to with my MC cart. I tried transformers (beyerdynamic microphone ones 1:15) into the Eros and also a solid state MC phono and preferred the solid state phono with it. Unfortunatly for the DL-103 my MC cart with the Eros sounded just epic in comparison.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:24:51 PM
I use a Seduction. I've used Beyer mic transformers on 1:15 and I have some Sowter 1:10s now. Used a 103 for years, have an SPU now. Never had an Eros in my home system.

These carts require proper care & feeding. I'd say the arm influences more than the stepup... Sounds like it's been some time between attempts, what all has changed? Just the phono stage, or is there more to the story?

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Downhome Upstate

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 02:48:24 PM
I use a Seduction. I've used Beyer mic transformers on 1:15 and I have some Sowter 1:10s now. Used a 103 for years, have an SPU now. Never had an Eros in my home system.

These carts require proper care & feeding. I'd say the arm influences more than the stepup... Sounds like it's been some time between attempts, what all has changed? Just the phono stage, or is there more to the story?

I'm in-between at the moment. Over time, I sold my BH gear (other than the Eros) and got a Quicksilver Line Preamplifier, an AVA Synergy 300 and a pair of Salk Songtowers. The current table is new to me: a TD-124.

The unsatisfactory results with the Eros, the A23 SUT and the 103 were on the 124 with an SME 3009 S2 unimproved arm with heavy counterweight and lateral weight. I could have screwed up the setup of that arm for the 103.

I'm waiting for delivery of a new 'arm for the 124 next week: a Pete Riggle Universal Woody, and plan to install the 103 on the Woody. I should be able to accurately dial in the 103 on that (super adjustable) arm.

I picked up a used Musical Fidelity X-LPS 3 phono preamp for a good price along the way, but don't have a clue whether that will mate with a SUT & the 103 the way a low gain tube unit might.

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

Mike P.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 04:10:13 PM
I happily made a home for my 124 set up the same as yours and the 103 cart.  You will find a happy place in vinyl, nothing is new at least and system synergy is key. Keep searching for what fits your system best.

Aaron Johnson