Thorens TD160 M2 Mods

M42 · 9831

Offline [email protected]

Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 04:29:39 AM
Probably, there really is no merit in upgrading that arm unless you plan on keeping it. It is close to impossible to adjust properly and that is the main factor for any arm, Azimuth and V T A is so very important for sound quality, but they must be easily adjustable, otherwise we would never do it.

I would just make sure that the solder connections for the original wire is good and the wire is not compromised, if you have a tiny wire brush to clean the end clips nice and shiny that will go a long way, also make sure that they are snug.
Let us know your impressions when she is broken in.

Don

Don Troise

Offline M42

Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 09:40:59 AM
I've installed the new spindle oil & bearing kit as well as the turntable platter isolation pads. I am very happy with the net results. The sonic gains far outweigh the modest amount of time and money invested so far!

I hope to start work on a new zebra wood plinth shortly.I'm considering changing the stock arm for a Jelco 750D unit. From all accounts these arms are among the more affordable choices suitable for the TD160, offering superior performance to the TP16 arm. An Ortofon 2M Black cartridge may replace my Grace F9E cart as well. I love the Grace, but its output is only 2.5mv as compared to the 5mv for the Ortofon. For whatever reason the installation of the Integration on my Reduction phono amp has loosened my death grip on the Grace. The 2M Black reviews have me believing it`s the modern day incarnation of the Grace.

The speed control unit and tach made by Pheonix Engineering appear to be no longer available....except at inflated prices on the web. I`m now waiting for a diy unit from Mate Labs in Germany called the Magic Quartz to become available. It appears to be a very capable piece of kit.

I have ordered a Michell record clamp and have yet to install the Funk Firm Achromat platter mat. More to follow.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 09:43:12 AM by M42 »

Jeff Hullin

Stereomour(2A3), Eros, Crack/Speedball, Thorens TD160 MKII, Grace F9E, Sennheiser HD600's, Frugelhorn 3's, DIY 8" Subs.

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it.