Shunt reg Mono Seduction

xcortes · 11004

Offline xcortes

on: August 11, 2010, 08:40:10 AM
My mono system is (Finally!) materializing. I just purchased a large lot of mono lps and a very nice field coil speaker from the Third Reich.

I have a Seduction that will use for the system but since I will only be using one channel I'd like to shunt regulate it. I'm looking for ideas on where to look at or how to implement it.

Thanks

Xavier Cortes

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:57:22 PM
PB posted a while back about using a gas reg  tube, something I want to try.

I would thing that with only one channel there might be enough transformer capacity to run a shunt reg, if managed carefully maybe move the filament load to another transformer or wall wart. If you have a Foreplay II you could study it

John Scanlon

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:35 PM
There is some voltage lost with a gas regulator like through the 10k 15W resistor in the FP III.  Hopefully changing the power supply from the Pi filter would give you that voltage.  If not a voltage doubler like the FP III might give it to you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:42:33 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:12:27 PM
Gas reg heater current? Does not compute.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:18:51 PM
Should be quite possible; just convert one channel to dual shunt regs. Do you already have the C4S upgrade for your Seduction?

Paul Joppa

Offline xcortes

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 02:05:37 AM
Do you already have the C4S upgrade for your Seduction?

Yes I do!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:14:05 AM by xcortes »

Xavier Cortes

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:46:59 AM
Do you already have the C4S upgrade for your Seduction?

Yes I do!

Too bad, the connections are going to be a puzzle. The idea is simple - use one 6922 as a dual shunt reg, keeping the other as the RIAA amp. But you would need four independent current sources, and the existing board has a single input and only two bias chains. And the newest PC boards do not quite fit the screw spacing of the current Seduction.

Let me think about the possibilities for a couple days, and ping me privately. As long as you do not need the cover shield box, I'm sure we can cobble something together.

Paul Joppa

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:03:59 AM
IIRC some Seduction chassis panels actually got made with additional holes for the green SRC4S style PC board near the nine pin socket holes. I don't have any specific info about when or where these might turn up, I just know that there are some out there.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.