Kaiju vs other 300b amps?

mwaller · 3863

Offline mwaller

on: December 03, 2016, 10:02:52 AM
A question for anyone who has been able to listen to the Kaiju and other 300b amps... What differences have you observed?
I'd be particularly interested to hear from someone who has auditioned other kit-type products like the Tubelab SE 300b.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 03:03:01 PM
The Tubelab SE 300B is not a complete kit. It's a PC board with an open list of component choices. That would make it somewhat difficult to describe a characteristic sound since it would change some with the output iron used, output tube choice, etc. I have not heard one so I don't have any info to offer.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:15:57 AM
I built a tubelab SE some time ago and it was a very nice sounding amp, though as Doc said it's final sonic characteristics will depend on what other components you use.  I used Electra-print iron and it sounded very nice.  I have not heard a Kaiju to compare, but compared to the other BH amps I have built, the BH amps sound superior to my ears.  The BH products sound more detailed and immersive to me.

I have since cannibalized the TubeLab amps for other projects

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline mwaller

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:50:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback!

On an tangential topic... can someone please tell me whether a preamplifier is required to get the most out of the Kaiju?
If I were to use a digital source like the Oppo BDP-105 that has a adjustable output, what benefit would a preamp provide? 
I believe the output impedance of the Oppo is low  ~100 Ohms.  The maximum output level via dedicated RCA output connectors is 2.1Vrms. That is a good deal more than the input sensitivity of the Kaiju. Toughts?
Thanks,
Mika 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 08:06:34 AM
It should probably work. I use an Oppo BDP-103 with Stereomour amps and have way more gain than I need. The Stereomour has more gain with a 12AT7 in the front end vs. the Kaiju's 5670, so I can't say with absolute certainty it will be perfect. And of course it depends a bit upon your speaker sensitivity and how loud you listen as well. But my hunch is it will probably work well.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ebag4

• Bottlehead and GR Research, Yeah Baby!
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 04:02:42 AM
I am driving my Kaiju directly from an Auralic Vega with no issue.  Of course the efficiency of your speakers will play a role as well, but if you are considering a 300b amp you are likely covered there.

Merry Christmas/happy holidays!

Ed

GO CARDS!!!

Offline rockdoc

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:58:02 PM
immersive; I like that!

I built a tubelab SE some time ago and it was a very nice sounding amp, though as Doc said it's final sonic characteristics will depend on what other components you use.  I used Electra-print iron and it sounded very nice.  I have not heard a Kaiju to compare, but compared to the other BH amps I have built, the BH amps sound superior to my ears.  The BH products sound more detailed and immersive to me.

I have since cannibalized the TubeLab amps for other projects

Debra