iPod line out ?s

ssssly · 3472

Offline ssssly

on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:04 PM
So after enjoying sitting around listening to my headphones with my TOF SEX so much I decided to throw a few dollars at an iPod direct out. Had been running the iPod from the headphone out direct into the SEX. It sure wasn't vinyl or my Norh CD1 but very convenient for sitting on the living room couch and relaxing for a bit.

So after connecting the line out (connects direct to the port on the bottom with a 3.5mm jack out) the first thing I noticed is that there is no volume control from the iPod any longer. Volume seems to be approx 3/4 the way up compared to the headphone out.

It also seems to sound better but I can't for the life of me think of any reason that it should.

Is a FIIO L3, bout $15 delivered, and a $15 that I am happy to have spent. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why it would sound any different.

Does the direct out bypass the opamp or something?

This also has me wanting to buy a gen 4. Supposedly they have a better DAC than the newer models like the touch I am using now. Should be nice and cheap on ebay now as well.

Offline mrarroyo

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 03:36:45 AM
When you use a line out dock you bypass the internal amp in the iPod. Most users have reported better sound specially when using a better external amp. I have been using an external amp via a line out dock for years and IMO the sound is indeed better. Good luck.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:50 AM
Apparently it also bypasses the digital level control, which loses information as the level is turned down.

Paul Joppa