New Stereomour II

Alonzo · 5459

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 06:08:26 PM
Yes, I have to scratch my head for a while too - every time! Those beautiful end bells hide the information you want.

Paul Joppa

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 08:05:09 PM
Iron reinstalled, minor cap and resistor problem fixed, voltage checks passed.  Setup with 2A340's on 4ohm tap of the pinstripes to MMG's.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 09:54:42 AM
Hi Alonzo,

Did you ever use that chromed top plate with the transparent copper powdercoat?

I'm seriously considering a Steromour II and will probably do the same transparent copper color scheme. I plan to use my spalted birch base for the stereomour and will make a custom base out of some teak I have for the s.e.x. 2.1.

The s.e.x will be almost exclusively a headphone amp for my modified Meze 99 Classics, and the stereomour II will most likely be built as a straight power amp as I have a killer 1 in and 1 out 5670 based preamp with noise figures in microvolts at full scale, which is far more than either of my amps can use. It also has a great volume pot.

For the stereomour II, I would probably only add the shunt reg upgrade -- I just like AC filaments on 2A3's.

Which horns are you using -- Frugal horn or Horn Shoppe?

-- Jim

P.S. -- love the Tolkien quote in your sig. :-)

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Alonzo

Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 12:58:33 PM
Hi Jim,
Right now it's sitting in the garage, 3/4 built.  I'm trying to convince Mike L. to make some different 45 parafeed transformers for a it.  It is simply gorgeous so I won't use it for one of my experiments.  I had a Koa base built for it, the combination is dark and lovely.
Who did  the plating work for you, I have a Mainline that is a plain Jane compared to my other amps, it could use an upgrade.

Using Frugal horns MK III with FE126 enabled speakers.  Once Dave gets back on his feet will try out some of the Mark Audio speakers or maybe a XL pair of horns.

My youngest son is a bit of a wanderer, if you don't keep his attention he will find something else to focus on.  For his 30th we took a road trip and had some silver cuffs made with the Tolkien quote; "All that glitters" on the outside and the "Not all those who wander" on the inside.  It's a nice reminder of an adventure we shared and a great quote!!!

Alonzo

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 02:23:52 PM
Hi Alonzo,

Wow, the koa base sounds like it would be really nice with the "copper mirror" as I used to call it. If I do get another stereomour I'll most likely do the transparent copper again, but leave Doc's "brush work" untouched. Should look really nice, not to mention, very different.

I don't remember the name of the chrome platers except that they were based in Connecticut somewhere. They were good guys to deal with -- unlike the guys who brass plated some transformer endbells for me. Don't remember who they were either.

So, what's with Dave G.? I've been away from the whole audio thing -- except for listening, for a good while, but as my health slowly improves I'm being a bit more active on a couple of the forums -- this one being my favorite, of course.

I have one of those last 6 s.e.x. 2.1 kits still sitting in a box and as soon as the system is back online following some upgrades to my Orcas and some homebrew interconnects and the addition of the iFi Micro iTube 2 buffer/preamp. Take care,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Alonzo

Reply #20 on: April 24, 2017, 05:39:10 PM
Yeah, it looks great, thank you for the sale.  My system is a mish mash of colors and stained BH bases and Blumenstein bases.  My final upgrade will be to get them all in Koa bases and either copper or black chrome coated top plates.  Nothing matches now (blue Stereomour II, blue BeePre, hammered copper Stereomour, black and brass Stereomour, red Stereomour , naked Mainline and naked Smash and the copper one waiting to be finished.  I wish I had the skill (and patience) of someone like Leeland, he makes some great looking gear.

Dave was hospitalized for an internal issue, infection and system failure.  The details are on his forum.  He's now home recuperating.  Hopefully he has a full recovery.

Good to see you back on the forum, hope your health keeps improving.
Alonzo

Alonzo

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 06:34:59 AM
Today Imoved my rack out from the wall as I'm having the trim in my listening room painted -- a greyish sage green to complement the battleship grey accent wall and the sandy beige that covers the other walls. The chair cushions are a sage color and so is the area rug that will go down once the speakers are placed. Yeah, I can't see a bit of it, but like the gear, I want the room to look nice too. There are two ficus plants in the front corners in pots and sitting on black lacquered 2" thick platforms. Then it will either be the bamboo Orcas and baby benthic subs and amps for a two-tone look, and the Abbys will match the rack when I put them in. So, I'll be alternating speakers as the spirit moves me. Of course the current el-84 amp is a bright Porsche Racing Ruby Red, and the stereomour II (if I decide to build one) will go in the birch box, and I may build a base for the s.e.x. 2.1 that matches the walnut earcups on the Meze 99's. Oh, and the main floor is carpeted with a beige burbur -- all wool so as to minimize static buildup.

At this point I can only manage 3-4 hours a day to work on things, so I try to get as much done every day, that I possibly can. Today, when I pulled out the rack I did all the wiring to connect the sub amps to the main amp, so the only thing left to do there is to run the speaker cables to the subs themselves, which isn't very practical nowat this time. Whatever I end up doing on the amps, I promise they will look and sound great. Time to start oiling the birch stereomour II base...

Just have to have it all looking good. Of course I'll send pics when it's all together.

Your son sounds a good bit like me. :-)

Take care,

Jim

Offline Jamier

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 05:27:32 PM
Hi Alonzo,

Are you also using the EXO-003 in your SII? What are your observations of the change from the stock configuration?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Alonzo

Reply #23 on: May 23, 2017, 08:39:53 PM
Hi Jamie,
Nope, currently it has Mike's BCP15+ in it as plate chokes.  Had those on hand in another amp so I swapped the stock PC-3's for them.
I've changed a lot from stock, only was stock long enough to do the voltage checks and a quick sound check. And I changed plate chokes at the same time I changed outputs so I couldn't truthfully tell you which made the great sounds I hear now.  I can say I like the combination of 3K transformers and the BCP15+ chokes even though the specs aren't perfect to the design of the Stereomour II. 

Alonzo

Offline Jamier

Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 05:30:39 AM
Hi Alonzo,

So, with that OPT/plate choke combo are you essentially running the set-up that PJ descibed in Greg's thread, 300V (plate to cathode)/ 60mA / 3KOPT with the JJ 2A3 -40 ?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 05:33:09 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline Alonzo

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2017, 06:55:01 AM
But with Full Music Meshplates now.  Moved my pair of 2A3-40's over to my Stereomour I with Dowdy chokes (and 3K outputs).  Still mixing and matching tubes - amps - speakers to find out which is best.

Alonzo

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 07:17:47 AM
Hi Alonzo,

So, with that OPT/plate choke combo are you essentially running the set-up that PJ descibed in Greg's thread, 300V (plate to cathode)/ 60mA / 3KOPT with the JJ 2A3 -40 ?
The BCP-15 is limited to 50mA current. That would be the stock operating point at 300v plate to cathode.

Paul Joppa

Offline Alonzo

Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 08:21:50 AM
Thanks Paul!  I should think before I type, don't know where I got that number. 

Alonzo