Power at 600 ohms?

adydula · 1541

Offline adydula

on: December 31, 2016, 04:15:11 AM
Considering a mainline for my new T1's...I have a Crack w Speedball and it does work very well....I know the mailine is spec'd at 600mw at 32 ohms?
I was wondering what the power output is at 600 ohms?

Most amps have varying amounts of power depending on the impedance?

Any idea?

Thanks
Alex

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:12:40 AM
Considering a mainline for my new T1's...I have a Crack w Speedball and it does work very well....I know the mailine is spec'd at 600mw at 32 ohms?

Any idea?

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex

I had the T1 for some time and have paired it with the Crack the Sex and Mainline I think its safe to say the Mainline would be my go to choice to listen with every time.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline adydula

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 07:52:46 AM
Thanks Jamie...

I have several amps here and most drive the T1's well enough, a few really have more power available if indeed needed.

Being the techie I always want to know a little more about my stuff....and I am getting anxious to fire up my soldering iron....at least with Bottlehead stuff I dont have to deal with the small miocroscopic SMD stuff!! LOL.

Good old big wires and the like!!

Alex
Happy New Year!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:47:15 PM

Any idea?

Thanks
Alex
With the high impedance setting, the power would be about 600mW into 64 ohms.

The voltage output would then be the square root of (power times impedance), which is about 6.2 volts RMS. The source impedance is low enough to ignore for these approximate calculations, so the output is still 6.2 volts into 600 ohms. Power equals volts squared over resistance, so 64mW into 600 ohms.

Paul Joppa

Offline adydula

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:36:15 AM
Paul,

Thanks for your input.

So its 64mw at 600 ohms then. There are other amps rated much higher at 600 ohms as this. So I was wondering how well my T1's would play with an amp like the Mainline vs one with 300-400 mw at 600 ohms.
So far the T1 with my Crack is 'magical' to me at times. I dont seem to have an issue playing very loud at all. I know the sensitivity comes into play here as well.

I didnt want to throw money into another amp for more power if its not really needed...I was thinking of the mainline someday and wondered if it had more mw at 600 ohms than the Crack

Thanks Again
Alex
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 03:13:54 PM by adydula »