Accidents, Available Substitutions, Interesting Consequences

Downhome Upstate · 1255

Offline Downhome Upstate

I was looking for an inexpensive alternative to the Dayton capacitors that came with the kit (not that the Daytons aren't good to begin with, at least based on the 100 uf PP cap I had in my old Crack w/Speedball), and settled on 8 matched Gen I Sonicaps for the RIAA circuit, and pairs of tightly matched Gen II Sonicaps for the coupling and output caps. Fiddling around installing the A side coupling cap, I broke the lead off right at the body. The only replacements in my stash were a matched pair of K40Y-9's PIO from Ru Tubes (sonofagun - on my DMM, they did read exactly the same). In they went.

Resistors for the RIAA positions are matched PRP 1%, and Vishay 47.5K bulk metal foil at the inputs. RCA's are Vampire gold over pure copper. The Reduction is otherwise stock. Josh shipped the kit with some nice sounding 6N23B Soviet-era valves.

So, if you don't turn the unit off fast enough when you see smoke . . . A stray lead I didn't trim shorted the B+ on the B-side 8 lug teminal, discoloring the 1K resistors in the B+ filter, and took out 1 or both of the LEDs on the B side tube socket. After replacing the LEDs, the resistors (and for good measure the 220uf filtering caps on that side), I verified the install checks again and burned it in for a day. (The burn-in routine used the KAB Precon inverse RIAA box and the Ayre/Cardas burn-in CD on repeat.)

Hooked it up to the TD-124/Pete Riggle Universal Woody/ZU Denon 103/Auditorium A23 SUT, put on my OJC copy of Bill Evans 'Waltz for Debby,' and sat to listen. I was expecting rounded transients due to the PIO coupling caps, esp. from the piano, but it didn't happen (at least not the way I expected). The percussive attack from some of the piano notes at lower SPLs seemed kind of softened, but when I turned the attenuator up a couple of clicks (it's Sunday morning here), the attack was back. Great low level detail, really good dynamics, and wonderful timbre from the double bass and piano. The drum kit was absolutely spot on.

I guess you never know.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 08:09:42 AM by Downhome Upstate »

"Too soon old;
   Too late schmart"

The late Mr. Fox, Fox's Deli, Rochester, NY

Mike P.