Conversion of EROS Phone to Tape Head Preamp

Tubejack · 4692

Offline Tubejack

on: January 11, 2017, 12:50:53 AM
I have an early release EROS that I would like to convert to a EROS Tape Head Preamp.  I may have missed it, but I did a search on the forum for a conversion thread, came up nada.  Can someone point me to a thread, if it exists, on how to do a conversion?

There are 10 types of people in this world,
Those that understand Binary and those that Don't!

Offline PT

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 11:47:16 PM
Would be interesting to know that too! Anybody has done it?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 06:06:59 AM
There is no thread on this, as they were entirely separate products.  The Eros Tape required some part values to be changed in the circuit and a switchable EQ. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 06:41:32 AM
About a zillion years ago (OK, maybe 20) I posted an article about converting the long since retired Seduction phone preamp for use as a tape head preamp. That led to the later offering of the Eros tape head kit as a stand alone product. It was a separate product from the Eros phono because of different requirements in the eq curves - also there are some considerations to make regarding gain structure when using IEC eq. We did not ever post DIY instructions for converting the phono version of Eros to tape.

After a few years we weighed the number of tape Eros kits sold against the required amount of support (not only for the preamp, in my days with the Tape Project I spent many hours on the phone explaining how to use a tape deck as well - a lost art) we determined that it was not realistic to continue with that kit. Instead we continue to offer the Tube Repro as a turn-key solution.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.