Budget speakers for destop setup

Natural Sound · 2853

Offline Natural Sound

on: January 18, 2017, 06:11:25 AM
A friend of mine is looking to ditch his crappy desktop speakers on his workstation. Thing is there isn’t much budget to work with ~ $250 - $300. The money will be spent on speakers only. He already has the other pieces, an integrated amp (sand), a S.E.X. amp on loan from me, a DAC that is better than the sound card in his computer and an external hard drive filled with redbook FLAC files.

I’ve heard that the Andrew Jones signature series from Pioneer was an excellent bang for the buck. My first inclination is to go with the bookshelf version SP-BS22-LR and get some inexpensive stands. He wants the speakers off the desktop due to desktop space restraints. Digging a little deeper I see that there is a floorstanding version in this series as well the SP-FS52. The floorstanders dig a little deeper in the low end (40 Hz vs. 55 Hz.)and are a tad bit more efficient. Price wise things will be close to the same when taking speaker stands into consideration.

Any thoughts? Pro’s con’s? Are there other options that we should be considering?

Oh, forgot to mention, he doesn’t want a sub. 

Offline jjvornov

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 06:20:29 AM
I think used is always a good option. Speakers generally hold up well over the years. My desktop speakers are a pair of 25 year old ProAc SuperTablettes. They are a great match for low power tubes for near field because they are an easy load but not hugely efficient.

I've tried other mini monitors on the desktop and it varies. I love NHT speakers, but they want more power to sing. I don't know the Pioneers, but make sure that they are good impedance match or at least some one has experience using them in a low power, near field setting.

Offline corndog71

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:05:20 AM
I haven't heard the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR myself but a friend whose opinion I trust said they were ridiculously good for the money.  A good way to raise them up and improve clarity is to add a pair of Isoacoustic L8R-155 stands.

Oh crap.  I broke rule #2.  I can also recommend the NHT Super Zero 2.1  which I own.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:53:26 PM by corndog71 »

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 08:14:05 AM
Yes, Andrew's designs are very good.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 01:54:57 PM
I have a pair of the SP-BS22-LR's as my computer speakers and would recommend them...John   

John Scanlon

Offline jjvornov

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:16:12 AM
Looking at Stereophiles specifications: http://www.stereophile.com/content/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker-measurements#EIspFv7D1DCSJeAh.97, it looks like a pretty easy load to drive with decent enough sensitivity to loud on the desktop. One watt from the LTA microZOTL is enough to drive my ProAc's to nice listening levels. The amp just gently runs out of steam as I try to push it really loud.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 04:49:19 AM
I have used orcas and planet 10's ufonken with the fostex ff85wk and loved them both as desktop speakers.
I would go with the ff83sol and find any small enclosure for them.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC