Will I be able to use these wires for the Crack? [resolved]

elgringo81 · 5447

Offline elgringo81

Hello there.

I am planing to do an hook up wire upgrade.

Will I be able to use these wires? I would be going for the 22 AWG. They are solid copper and rated for 600V,

"Vintage Cloth Covered Wire
Authentic reproduction double-cloth jacketed wire. 22 (US) / 0,65 mm dia. gauge solid copper 600V rated. Great for repairing vintage gear, rewireing guitars, but you can use it on new & homebrew projects as well."

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:07:49 AM by elgringo81 »

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline kgoss

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:01:54 AM
First of all I'm not trying to talk you out of using that wire. But I'm curious why it's an upgrade. There is no mention of the purity of the copper in the description so I bet the wire supplied in the kit is comparable.  That leaves the cloth insulator as the difference. So my question is what makes cloth insulated wire an upgrade over PTFE or any other modern insulator? 

Ken Goss

Offline elgringo81

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 08:45:12 AM
First of all I'm not trying to talk you out of using that wire. But I'm curious why it's an upgrade. There is no mention of the purity of the copper in the description so I bet the wire supplied in the kit is comparable.  That leaves the cloth insulator as the difference. So my question is what makes cloth insulated wire an upgrade over PTFE or any other modern insulator? 

Well its maybe a little bit embarrassing. I have had few issues with my built after I started upgrading it. to name few things (I broke the both 6x lug terminals, 1x 2.7kohm resistor, 1x LED amongst other few things..)
It also because I live in a small apartment with my girlfriend and 11 month old boy so time and peace has been limited.

I am pretty inexperienced in this but I am very interested. I work in IT so I am around electronics and technology all day and I love music and have HD650 and HD800S so it was pretty logical in my mind to go for the Crack,

So to answer your question/concern. I will rebuild the unit and post pictures here when I think it works/looks good enough :)

I am not happy with my stock wire work since there are many mishaps where I have touch the isolation with my soldering iron.
I want to replace what is broken and give it my best, but It should not be a step downwards in quality terms..

My crack is getting very expensive but it does not matter (at this point in the process.)  I will give it my absolute best run, because I would like to go for the Mainline in the future to do my HD800S justice..

*I have the following upgrades waiting for installation. (New RCA connectors, ALPS Blue, EVO 400uf caps - I can see that they will fit, TRS Socket and I have a 20H80mA choke that I need to find out if I can use.)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:16:01 AM by elgringo81 »

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline elgringo81

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:25:02 AM
I have sent a mail to the web store where I ask for further information about the purity of the copper.
I will post it here once I get the reply.

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline Chris65

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 10:38:01 AM
IMHO, it would be better to use good quality PTFE coated wire. The teflon doesn't burn or melt & is easier to use than cloth pushback wire.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 01:04:18 PM
IMHO, it would be better to use good quality PTFE coated wire. The teflon doesn't burn or melt & is easier to use than cloth pushback wire.

This is also my recommendation. You can buy such wire in small lengths on eBay, and you can literally wrap it around the tip of your soldering iron and it will just sit there happily.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline elgringo81

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 05:02:19 AM
This is also my recommendation. You can buy such wire in small lengths on eBay, and you can literally wrap it around the tip of your soldering iron and it will just sit there happily.

I have been searching today on google and ebay and I am having difficulty finding a person/dealer located in within EU or UK.
But I find a lot of them in US.

Is there a EU/UK go to place we I should be able to find Single Core, (High purity Copper or Silver), PTFE Teflon, 22awg wire, sold by the meter and does not cost an arm and a leg?

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline Leland Hankins

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:17:48 AM
Try hificollective, their wire selection is very good, I used the Neotech LECT rectangular copper wire in my Crack-a-two-a, and teflon solid silver in the BeePre.

Offline elgringo81

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 05:44:09 AM
Try hificollective, their wire selection is very good, I used the Neotech LECT rectangular copper wire in my Crack-a-two-a, and teflon solid silver in the BeePre.

Thank you Leland.

I have now ordered 6 meters of Neotech LECT rectangular copper wire, 22awg.

Best Regards,
Gudmundur

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline elgringo81

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 05:56:04 AM
a final question.

I have received the wire but I just want to be sure I can use it.

I have a 240v mains transformer in my Crack and this wire is rated for 300V 7A Max.
It might be a stupid question but I need to be sure before I go on with this.

Here is move info on the wire.

Neotech LECT rectangular copper wires
Neotech`s LECT type wire is 99.999% high purity UP-OCC rectangular copper wire, sheathed in red, heat resistant teflon. Can be used for speaker wire, mains cable and general hook up wire, the best copper wire currently available.

LECT-22: AWG 22, dimensions: inner - 0.27mm x 1.21mm, outer - 0.64mm x 1.56mm.  300V, 7A rated.

Is there someone here that can enlighten me?

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 06:51:10 AM
There are no voltages over 300V in your kit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline elgringo81

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 07:06:14 AM
Thanks for a fast reply.

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.