WTFPLAY x86 Linux music player

RickS · 3541

Offline RickS

on: January 28, 2017, 10:39:22 AM
I've been experimenting with a bare bones Linux music server called WTFPLAY that runs on x86 architecture PCs (without networking or GUI).  Because it's so stripped down it has a very small footprint and uses PC resources sparingly all in the hopes of improved audio quality.

My front-end is a HP Stream 11 laptop (<$200) fed by my digital library on 64GB SD cards with USB to a Teac ud-301 DAC.  From there to my Stereomour and Blumenstein speakers/subwoofer.  I run the laptop on battery power.  I think my configuration is about as bare bones as it could be...

So far so good!  Definitely worth a try (it's free) and runs live from a USB flash drive so no changes are made to your PC.  The interface isn't pretty but it's actually fast to manipulate to the subdirectory and files you want to load in your playlist.  It preserves settings and your playlist in a local partition on the flash drive.  It also handles DSD files natively (if your DAC does) and the only small inconvenience I've noticed there is that there's about a 5 second gap between DSD tracks (noticeably longer than with FLAC files).

I don't have a lot to compare it to but for me it's a clear winner in audio quality over the Teac provided music player and I'm really enjoying it.

Rick

Foreplay III, Stereomour w/ JJ 2A3-40 and Psvane 12AT7 tubes
Blumenstein Orca FE83-SOL speakers / sub
BH power cables & interconnects
HP Stream 11 running WTFPLAY, Supra USB to Teac UD-301 DSD DAC
Rega Planar 2 w/ AT95SH cartridge, GT subplatter, 24V motor, SRM-Tech Silent Base
Seduction w/ C4S

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 12:24:51 PM
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing. I've been using minimalist Linux servers for going on 5 years and I love them. Mine however use a Network File System.

Using PC Engines ALIX and Voyage Linux MPD
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=2889.msg24114#msg24114

Using a $25 re-purposed Slim Client with Voyage Linux MPD
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=8622.msg82133#msg82133