Here is my Crack. Few mods and sounding really great (HD650+HD800S)

ideal.hat · 2713

Offline ideal.hat

Hello there.

I just finished my Crack update and its running really great.
It sounds great. I could feel a big difference after I installed the EVO caps. Mids were fuller and bass wash both boosted and improved. Thats is atleast what my ears tell me.

In the future, I want to work on the highs a little bit for the HD800S.

Tubes:
TungSol NOS JAN 5998
Full Music 12AU7 (I need to decide on an upgrade, Advice is appreciated.)

Upgrades.
Mundorf EVO 100uF
TRS Jack
Alps "blue beauty"
LECT-22: Neotech Rectangular Copper Wire, AWG 22.
I used a balanced mic wire between the RCA Jacks and the volume pot. (Is that fine in your opinion? it sounds good.)

I am a beginner in the, so if you see something that you think I am doing wrong, them please set me straight :)

I want to thank those that helped me, expecially Paul and Doc B.

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline kgoss

Excellent job rebuilding your amp!  Looks great and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.
Enjoy!

Ken Goss

Offline ideal.hat

Excellent job rebuilding your amp!  Looks great and I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.
Enjoy!
Thanks Ken.

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline Strikkflypilot

• Shellac fiddler
Looks fantastic!

Home system:
Sources: Ibasso DX90, Google Chromecast Audio optical out
DAC: Schiit Gumby
Amp: Bottlehead Mainline
http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=7463.0
Phones: HD800S

Office:
Sources: Iphone/ Ipod
DAC: Dragonfly Red+Jtrbug
Amp: Crack/Speedball heavily modded
Phones: HD580,HD600 grilles

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Looks great. My one suggestion is get it off that other piece of gear. Sitting that close together the power supply of one piece of gear can potentially generate noise in the other.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline JamieMcC

Nice job and you got me thinking its been a while since I last built a Crack

How are you getting on with your Chord 2Qute?

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline ideal.hat

Looks great. My one suggestion is get it off that other piece of gear. Sitting that close together the power supply of one piece of gear can potentially generate noise in the other.
Thanks. Point taken. This is temporary. I stacked the amps for A/B testing, and I did not notice any interference. After I rebuild that crack, its dead silent at all levels. the only interference I have is when I come to close to the Full Music 12au7 with my hand. I believe its microphonic an I will replaced it once I have chosen which tube.

Could it be an idea for Bottlehead to have a A/B Switch DYI project, that keeps component quality high? I would sure buy one when I go for the Mainline :)

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.

Offline ideal.hat

Nice job and you got me thinking its been a while since I last built a Crack

How are you getting on with your Chord 2Qute?
Thanks, the 2Qute is great. I have no complains about the sound quality from it. I can head the difference between my old M1DAC vs 2Qute. It is no day and night, but its there.

It is a good feeling to not put energy into DAC dissatisfaction/upgrades anymore :) it has been time to focus on the source and Amp.

I believe that I will now understand how good the DAC is really until I have a SS headphone amp that is close to bringing out HD800S full potential.

Currently I am using Musical Fidelity M1HPAP. It a pure Class A SS amp. its pretty good, but I believe there are much better amps out there. It am just hooked on the tupe sound for now instead of the analytical SS sound.

Guðmundur Ásgeirsson
DIY Beginner.