Chain order?

johnjacobjingle · 1593

Offline johnjacobjingle

on: February 11, 2017, 09:25:50 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the newbie question -  looking to affordably add a tube somewhere into the chain between my turntable and my speakers.  I have a receiver with a phono input that I'm not planning to replace just yet. Wondering if I can add a quickie between the turntable and the receiver, or if the phono needs to be brought up to line level before the quickie can work it's tube-r-ific magic? Thanks for any help.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:30:44 PM
You can certainly try, but the 3S4 used in the Quickie is probably too microphonic for use at that small a signal level. Perhaps someone on the Forum already has the ability to try it?

Some receivers have a preamp out jack, and a power amp in jack, which are normally connected to each other. That would be a better place to slip it in, if your receiver has that ability.

Paul Joppa

Offline johnjacobjingle

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 10:28:33 AM
thanks for the response.  So then I guess could get a cheap phono preamp, then run a line from there through the quickie and then into another (non-phono) input in the receiver, yeah?   I'll have to figure out if this or an actual phono tube preamp makes more sense...

thanks

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 01:43:01 PM
Many people have done just that. It's an easy and effective way to see what the fuss is about, without dumping a load of cash.

Paul Joppa

Offline pboser

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:30:16 PM
How about putting it in a tape loop?  I know some products have been made to add "tubeyness" in that way.

Peter Boser

Offline johnjacobjingle

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:17:13 PM
I think I have my heart set on an actual tube, but thanks for the suggestion...

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 06:32:03 AM
Putting something in the tape loop in this instance refers to putting connecting the tape out to your preamp, then the preamp out to the tape in. Press the monitor button and the preamp is in the signal loop.

It is somewhat difficult to advise this scenario without actually knowing what your receiver is/what features it has.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline johnjacobjingle

Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 05:07:01 PM
hmm... I just have an old, cheapish solid state onkyo from 10 years ago or so.  It does have a a tapedeck input-not sure if it has a tape output?  Or a monitor button?  I'll have a closer look...