Oh sh*t, my shunt!

kevin flynn · 1817

Offline kevin flynn

on: February 12, 2017, 03:16:13 PM
Installed the shunt kit today (after DC Filament and volume pot upgrades).  The other upgrades were cool, especially the DC supply, but the Shunt regulation!  Good grief!  Fired up right after the voltage checks, and with about an hour or two warm up, the amp is sounding  absolutely stellar.  I mean whole new ballpark, stellar.  I thought the amp sounded good previously. Not quite up to the level of my KT88 SE monoblocks, but hey, each of those weigh more than the Stereomour.  Now they're punching in the same class!
Good job you all, and thanks for apparently saving the best for last ;D.

K.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 05:14:47 PM
Thanks for the nice words!

When we came out with the Kaiju, we dropped the 2A3 direct-coupled option for that amp. So Stereomour became our only 2A3 amp. I really wanted to make it possible to upgrade it to the Kaiju level technology, so that we would have a flagship 2A3 amp. The level control upgrade matches the BeePre upgrade, the shunt reg matches the Kaiju, and the DC filament offers the low hum of Kaiju for situations where that is needed.

There are a few other possibilities allowed for in the design, but they are relatively esoteric and less cost-effective so they have not been tested, much less developed as kits. Yet.  :^)

Paul Joppa

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 04:11:29 AM

There are a few other possibilities allowed for in the design, but they are relatively esoteric and less cost-effective so they have not been tested, much less developed as kits. Yet.  :^)

We're waitin' (and savin').  :o

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs