Quickie Sounds Spectacular!

precd · 1534

Offline precd

on: March 07, 2017, 12:21:54 AM
I purchased my Quickie 4 years ago and built it along with my wife. The preamplifier was inserted in with a Adcom GFA-545, Marantz CD5004, and a pair of Polk Audio SDA2Bs. Sounded ok. A few months later I purchased the PJCCS upgrade and held onto it until a few months ago when it was finally installed. Still sounded ok. I have been chasing the sound and detail in my system for sometime. Having a low end rig it really was frustrating trying to get that sound I was after. My brother, who started my audiophile journey, told me to build my system around my speakers so I purchased the Elac Debut B6s recently. Also moved from the CD5004 to PC based music using JRiver and a Audioquest Dragonfly.

After ironing out some issues with the preamp, all boiling down to grounding the bus to an electrical ground, The Quickie sounds just awesome. At 1st I attributed the lack of finding "The Sound" to the cost efficient preamp but in the end the little piece has ended up being the high spot in the system! The price and sound make the preamp a must especially for those who own a budget system.

Adcom GFA-545
Bottlehead Quickie Preamp
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly

Offline BNAL

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 03:06:25 AM
Precd,

Glade your now getting the sound you have been looking for. The other area that is as important is room treatment. Getting that right can make even an entry level system sound satifying.

I have found the Quickie with PJCCS to be a great sound preamp. I like it better than the Extended Foreplay III I used to have. I think it is great preamp and you would have to spend a lot more money to get better.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 04:26:26 AM
I purchased my Quickie 4 years ago and built it along with my wife.

Wow, I'd love to see pics of the wife you built! Great choice on the Elacs, one of my favorite inexpensive speakers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline precd

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:39:23 AM
Wow, I'd love to see pics of the wife you built! Great choice on the Elacs, one of my favorite inexpensive speakers.

Hahaha Doc! After reading that I realized it did sound as if I was Dr. Frankenstein. If you could see her I am sure you would approve!

Adcom GFA-545
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly

Offline precd

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:40:23 AM
Precd,

Glade your now getting the sound you have been looking for. The other area that is as important is room treatment. Getting that right can make even an entry level system sound satifying.

I have found the Quickie with PJCCS to be a great sound preamp. I like it better than the Extended Foreplay III I used to have. I think it is great preamp and you would have to spend a lot more money to get better.

Yes! I have been placing some panels around to help out. I agree with you 100% on treatments.

Adcom GFA-545
Elac Debut B6
Marantz CD5004
JRiver Software
Audioquest Dragonfly