Quickie Caps

BNAL · 1637

Offline BNAL

on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:37 PM
I just changed the output caps on my Quickie with 2.2uF Cornell Dubilier 940C caps. I read some cap reviews for the Cornell Dubilier and decided to add them to another order I was placing with one of the big electronic parts suppliers. When I ordered them I did not do my due diligence and check the size. When they arrived I was surprised they were so big. The nice thing about the caps is the leads are heavy gauge and can hold the caps in place, so I did not need to do anything special to mount them.

The sound with no break-in is very nice. The sound is more open, clearer, and there appears to be deeper and more defined bass. These are the areas I was looking to improve and the only place in the circuit that would allow for a change was the cap. I had already changed the pot to an eBay DACT, which I find to be a great bang for the buck step attenuator.

The Quickies is crazy good for $134.00 with PJCCS board. Add the caps for $26.50 and eBay DACT for $18.00 and you have a preamp that sound so damn good.

This was supposed to be for my office, but has found a home in my main system.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 04:20:53 PM
It looks great Brad!

Aaron Johnson

Offline corndog71

Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:05 AM
That tinted yet transparent chassis plate looks fantastic!  Now I want one!

The world was made for those not cursed with self-awareness.

Rob

Offline brucef

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:00:36 PM
Very nice! I replaced my 2.2 caps with Mundorf Supremes and yes....... they are quite large. But they are under the hood.

Bruce F