Built a Quickie Today

Jamier · 6108

Offline Leland Hankins

Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 07:38:54 PM
Jamie, I apologize for the pictures and to everyone else, of course they work for me, as they should, will try to fix my stupidity tomorrow.

What I came up with is simpler and should be more effective, yours is way too complicated for the average builder in my opinion.  It is neat looking.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:40:24 PM by Leland Hankins »

Offline BNAL

Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 12:23:04 PM
Jamie,

That is great work. I'm not having any real issue with tube ringing. Only when I adjust the volume or change the input.

Lee,

Rally would like to see what you did to isolate the tubes. You can upload the pictures though the BH forum when posting.

Brad

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Leland Hankins

Reply #32 on: April 24, 2017, 05:46:00 AM
Brad it seems to be working now, check below.  My photos are stored on Google photo, maybe I have figured out how to make it work?

https://goo.gl/photos/Hqnarxtn6EvSsraH6
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:03:36 PM by Leland Hankins »

Offline aragorn723

Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 09:31:22 AM
Dave, thank you, I have been told by three Doctors that there is nothing that can be done, I have not given up, but I will be honest a cochlear implant was not discussed, do not know why.  I have read about a new procedure where the ear hairs can be regrown.  Lots of options I hope.

I hate not being able to listen to my music!!!

Have you been to an Audiologist?  Usually this condition is caused by another disease.  For instance, there is one called meneer's.  Not sure who you went to so far, but if you haven't gone to an Audiologist, that's prob the next step.

Dave

Offline Jamier

Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 01:54:27 PM
I put the Q in front of an NHT xd system that I have had for years, but have used very little. I have had a love/hate relationship with the xd; it is very high resolution, but also very noisy and very fickle when it comes to what is connected to it. Also the satellites and the sub have metal cones and at times they sound, well, metallic. The other problem is the system is very lean sounding in the midbass and always  sounded like something was missing. The high point is that the vocal clarity of the xd is extremely good and the image is pretty good as well. With the Quickie in the mix the metallic edge is gone, the image is improved and while it still sounds a little lean in the midbass, it isn't as noticeable with that DHT goodness in the equation. The Q takes rough edges off the system and really makes this active speaker shine. I'll be using this alot in the summer when it's just too hot to run  tube amps.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline aragorn723

Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 02:49:16 PM
Jamie,

Do you have the PJCCS installed?  I just fired up my Quickie again after a couple of months of non-use, and found that there is plenty of bass with just Def Tech BP6B tower speakers.  It might have something to do with choice of tubes too.  Makes me want to break out a different set of tubes and do some tube rolling!  What tubes are in your Q?

Dave

Offline Jamier

Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 03:07:13 PM
Hey Dave,

I don't have PJCCS in yet. I spent a lot of time on those rings and some wire looms to reduce the ring associated with the volume control. This thing is so quiet now, even when in front of really sensitive amps. I'm currently using RCA 3s4s, but I have had some Radiotechniques in also and I'm not sure which I like better. The Radiotechniques seem to have a little better midrange and the RCAs seem to have  a better top end. I have had so much fun tweeking this thing. I know there are better sounding preamps, but not pound for pound.I have also replaced the 160uF Nichicons with 220/50v Elna Silmics and the output caps are now 2.2uF Mundorf S/O.Those changes made a noticeable improvement.

Jamie
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:51:46 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline aragorn723

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2017, 05:25:30 AM
It's interesting to see how different mods can make a difference and sound good for some applications, and not so good for others.  I wasn't getting much treble in our new apartment (went from hardwood floors in our old LR to wall to wall carpeting).  Westinghouse tubes sounded great in the old place (slightly less treble) and the answer here seems to be a different set of tubes that came with the quickie (they have green lettering, not sure what they are).  The tubes used to be damped with some metalized tape and copper couplings.. now it sounds better without.. go figure  :P  I almost think you can make the Quickie whatever you want it to be, and just need tweak it to your setup.

Dave

4krow

Reply #38 on: May 27, 2017, 06:31:22 PM
 It has been a long time since I built one of these kits. I did do some work on the damping of the tube and socket. I was lucky to find Sorbothane rings that were easy to work with and just the right size. At one point I made a Quickie that had the top plate isolated from the chassis, but I don't recall what product that I used.