Will I have trouble cooling transformer?

Mark Ferring · 704

Offline Mark Ferring

on: March 29, 2017, 12:45:15 PM
So I might have done something stupid....again..... I have had the Crack for about a year. Wonderful. However, I neglected to paint the transformer bell initially. This of course turned out to be a mistake since it started to rust and not look very attractive. Therefore, I decided to paint it. But because I am lazy, I decided to just mask off around the bell and transformer and just spray paint it with the bell still attached to the transformer.

So, it looks nice! But, after the fact (always), it occurs to me that those two holes on the side of the bell cover might be there for transformer cooling. And of course, I got quite a bit of paint in there which might be an effective deterrent to said cooling airflow.

So, can you smart folks tell me how bad a messup this is? After a full 48 hours of dry time I was thinking about using something like a paper clip to break the new seal I made in those holes. But I am trying to avoid taking the whole transfer apart to inspect it from the inside.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Many thanks folks.

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 12:57:36 PM
Those holes are there for different types of transformers with different mounting holes. They do not provide any ventilation or any other function.

Do nothing, there is no problem to fix.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Mark Ferring

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 01:36:49 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the reply. That is a relief for me!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 11:57:59 AM
I actually think that your strategy ends up looking really nice, since the screws and transformer cover all get covered with the same color of paint.  There's nothing to be concerned about.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man