Mark Audio Sensitivity Enough??

Llewellen · 4805

Offline Llewellen

on: April 04, 2017, 11:25:33 AM
Continuing my quest for a reasonably priced, single, full range driver for a backloaded horn to be powered by the Seductor.  I posted previously about Fostex and Tang Band offerings.

I have come across several good reports regarding Mark Audio Pluvia Eleven and Alpair 10P, particularly on the Frugel-Horn site.  However, those drivers have sensitivity ratings in the 88-90dB area.

How will a Seductor make out with that in a backloaded horn?  I suppose I could strap the amp and use monoblocks but that's additional expense that I can't afford.

So you've got the moves
but have you got the touch?
(R. Lange/S. Twain)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 01:06:00 PM
It will reach 94-96 dB peaks. I don't know the driver so I cant really speak to how it sounds. But the math implies that it will probably sound fine at average/low levels and not so good if you are trying to impress audiophiles with organ symphonies.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Llewellen

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:53:09 PM
Thanks Doc.  That pretty much seals the deal for me.  You know your amp, what it likes and what it can do.  The people at Frugel-horn speak very highly of these drivers and not so much about Fostex or Tang Band (in their horn design) and, as far as I can tell, they have no connection to Mark Audio (financial or otherwise) that would impugn their objectivity.

My musical interests are rather limited: jazz guitar, either solo or in small ensembles sometimes with vocals, some blues and some classic rock (think Steely Dan).  No pipe organs and I do live in an apartment with neighbours who are not completely deaf  :)  If it does turn out that more juice is needed, I'll just have to spring for another kit and run monoblocks.

Out of interest, here's a link to the Mark Audio Pluvia Gold Eleven (6 inch):

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-6-fullrange/markaudio-pluvia-eleven-gold-6-full-range/

So you've got the moves
(R. Lange/S. Twain)

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 02:24:23 AM
I only have experience with Fostex. I really like the new Fostex SOL drivers (3&4" at Madisound). I have both the 3" (Orca) and 4" (Wall Speaker). I would try to find something that can be built around those drivers (Fostex P1000-BH 4" Full Range Back-loaded Horn Kit?). Maybe a frugel horn with a 4" driver? I would stay with 6.5" or below in terms of driver - I found the 8" not so delicate. I have a 6.5" ESR Fostex in an Abby (this is my favorite speaker). I would like to hear the 6.5" Fostex FE168EZ in a frugel horn. 
The most natural (lifelike) sounding speaker is the Orca. If you add a sub it greatly increases the volume level and satisfaction of them. I also had a mini fonken with a FF85wk and those are really nice too but those would need a sub for sure.
FWIW
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:37:23 AM by tsingle999 »

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Llewellen

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 03:23:24 AM
@tsingle999:  Thanks for this.  If you look at my earlier post about musical tastes, most of it contains an important bass presence.  I my very limited experience, 3" or 4" drivers can't deliver that and would need a sub, which is something I'm trying to avoid.

So you've got the moves
(R. Lange/S. Twain)

Offline Karl5150

Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:35:11 AM
Not the models you are considering, but I have both Fostex (FE126 in Hybrid OBs) and Mark Audio (Alpair 7.3 in FH3 horns) drivers powered by BH amps. The Seductor has plenty of power for the less sensitive MA speakers in a 12'x18' room with a Quickie in front of the amp and a digital source.
As with most (all?) smaller wide band drivers, the rising response in the upper registers needed some taming. Both sets of drivers have the same treatment from Planet 10 and the OBs have some notch filtering.
Both can exhibit some harshness with material that contains a lot of information in the problem frequency range (5k-7kHz?)
I have not swapped drivers so I don't know how they would react if they were in different enclosures.
The Fostex are a bit smoother overall, maybe it's the notch filtering or the number of hours on them.
The MA definitely have better HF extension and can "rock" a bit harder.
Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much.
Karl   

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77