Taking orders :)

xcortes · 109107

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 09:37:43 AM
We are using a PCM DAC chip, no native DSD.

Looks like I have sussed out our power supply issue. Gonna hook the DAC board back up to it and give it a spin after lunch.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:54:46 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 10:45:51 AM
Audirvana is a great program I've been using to play music from my iTunes library.  One of it's features is the ability to play DSD files natively or convert them to PCM.  It also plays FLAC which most OSX programs don't allow.  I've grown to like it much more than Amarra for its features and sound quality.   

Offline xcortes

Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:06 AM
Ready....

Xavier Cortes

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 10:52:01 AM
One nice thing about these programs is that one can download free demos and test drive them in their own system.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline dw

Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 11:06:19 AM
I've been using AudioGate for converting DSD files to PCM/96Khz.
These sound quite good in my system, though its hard to tell if its the format or the
mastering or recording quality that makes it sound so good. I also have some
ripped CDs at 44.1khz that sound very good and a lot of ripped CDs that sound pretty
bad - very compressed.

Thanks for the tip on Audirvana.

I guess we need something that will conver DSD or DXD to 24/192 PCM for the
Bottlehead DAC.

-Dave

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 01:43:15 PM
It's working and sounding very nice. I think I'm picking up better resolution with this DAC than the one we have been using the last couple years. Need to play it some more and break in the caps, but it's working well. Hopefully we can get the next (and hopefully final) version running soon...

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:20 PM
Hopefully we can get the next (and hopefully final) version running soon...
Holy shit! This is actually happening ...?  I predict it will be ready by Xmas, which would be great!

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline grufti

Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:23 PM
Any device with this level of complexity benefits from a beta test of sorts. It doesn't matter what label gets attached to the "real life encounter phase" it's always going to happen and the machine will typically end up better because of it. Right around Christmas is a good goal at this point, sorry, summer! I wonder, if the final version will retain the software/firmware update capability. The final I/V and the tube output stage should be able to handle any changes that happen further upstream, if and when they happen.

Offline BNAL

Reply #38 on: April 12, 2013, 05:19:23 AM
I wonder if the new USB willwork with the SB Touch and EDO? I know that John Swenson has played with the SB products and would like to get his feedback on what source will work with the new USB input.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #39 on: April 12, 2013, 05:25:54 AM
As I'm new to DAC's for the most part a question for ya.  Will I be able to have a computer plugged in via USB and a transport via something else at the same time?  If so do you need to switch between them or will the DAC recognize where the signal is coming from?

Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron Johnson

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #40 on: April 12, 2013, 05:32:03 AM
There will be a switch to allow choosing USB or SPDIF input.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline John Swenson

Reply #41 on: April 12, 2013, 05:58:29 PM
Yes it will work with the SBT and EDO. The new USB is going to be UAC2, which means it can go up to 24/192. What Doc doesn't even know yet is that it is going to be multi-channel, so some time in the future we can offer a board that plugs into the extension port and connects multiple DAC boxes so you can get up to 8 channels over the one USB connection.

The downside of UAC2 is that it will not work out of the box with Windows, it will take a UAC2 driver, just like all the other UAC2 DACs out there now. It will work out of the box with Mac and Linux.

There are going to be three inputs, S/PDIF coaxial on a 75 ohm BNC, S/PDIF optical (TOSLINK) and USB (UAC2). There will be a switch to select between them. I don't have any plans to do autodetect, it is really difficult. Most sources don't actually turn off the carrier when not playing, so it becomes a task of detecting "silence", it's not so easy to do reliably without unintentional source switches.

John S.

John Swenson
DAC designer
Well Tempered Record player -> Seduction
Moded Squeezebox->DIY DAC
BDT preamp->813 monster SE amp
DIY "Bazooka" Lowther speakers

Offline BNAL

Reply #42 on: April 12, 2013, 07:16:44 PM
John,

Thank you for the information. I have been thinking of dropping the Touch and getting either a Mac Mini or building a Linux based computer, but think I will keep the Touch and power supply I built based on your design and use it with the Bottlehead DAC via the USB out.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline debk

Reply #43 on: April 13, 2013, 12:20:26 AM
John,
Thanks for the information.  I am excited for the DAC, I am sure it will be awesome!
Deb

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline denti alligator

Reply #44 on: April 13, 2013, 04:01:56 AM
John,
will 24/192 be available over S/PDIF?

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable