Cleaning Records

xjb123 · 43067

Offline Grainger49

Reply #60 on: January 01, 2012, 02:27:40 AM
Even old vinyl can be silent.  No crackles no pops, no background noise at all.

Once there is a grain of something in the groove it might deform the groove and leave a noise even if removed.  I've probably posted here about using wood glue to deep clean LPs but if not here is a link:  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

This can remove or reduce the magnitude of impulse noise, ticks and pops.  The link includes a number of video links.

The routine is to squeeze out a spiral of glue on a slow turning LP, I use Titebond II on my 16.5 cleaner.  Then smooth it out with a credit card and allow to dry.  When dry pick the edge at the outer perimeter of the LP and then put painter's tape on and pull.  In the winter it can be brittle.  All of the glue can be removed with the painter's tape.  It is not perfect but it helps.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:37:31 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline cpaul

Reply #61 on: January 01, 2012, 01:29:08 PM
In my experience, all vinyl except new has at least SOME crackle.  But that could be b/c I don't use a vacuum LP cleaner.  

As for the wood glue treatment, I've used it quite a bit, but even it does only a decent (not perfect) job and doesn't remove ALL crackle.  And...be very careful using wood glue, as it's very difficult (edit:  oops, I mean easy) to leave small traces of the glue on the LP.  When that happens, it can be VERY difficult to remove it without damaging the vinyl.  Water helps if it's standard wood glue and not waterproof glue.  Be sure to apply a decently thick layer of glue, spread it as evenly as possible, let it dry long enough (virtually clear and no yellow areas) but not too long (to the point of getting brittle, could be 10 hours, could be 24 hours).  And use tape tabs on both the lead-in groove and the runout groove to facilitate removal of the glue.  These tabs can leave their own residue...  Oh, and under no circumstances let the glue get on the label!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 05:33:53 PM by cpaul »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #62 on: January 01, 2012, 02:56:23 PM
I think some crackle is caused by static discharge in the cold dry winter months.  I use a humidifier to keep my listening room between 50 and 60 percent relative humidity throughout the winter months.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:23:52 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #63 on: January 01, 2012, 10:17:55 PM
Unfortunately, I never had very good results with the spin-clean. Not for the lack of trying though. That is why I finally popped for the VPI and have never regretted it. With the right fluids and diligent care of the records after cleaning I have some pretty dead silent discs. I deal with lack of humidity all the time, it's about 14 right now. You can make a record full of static with a machine if you over vacuum it!

Cheers,
Shawn P.

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 07:23:39 AM
I received Edgar Meyer Unfolding last week.  I played it three times before cleaning.  This LP was open but unplayed, I am convinced.  It had about 9 or 10 pretty loud pops or zaps during playing.  After cleaning there are 4 very low pops and the others are completely removed. 

You, of course, never get this performance with old dirty LPs no matter how much you clean them.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #65 on: August 28, 2012, 09:05:26 AM
I have a cleaning problem that needs suggestions.  I have a wax mono recording on glass substrate.  Since alcohol dissolves wax, what can I clean it with?

If I asked before, I'm just confused.  If I get no responses I will post in the Corner.

Offline cpaul

Reply #66 on: August 28, 2012, 10:33:40 AM
No idea, Grainger.  That sounds like a challenge.  Good luck and if you're willing, report back on what you learn.

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #67 on: August 28, 2012, 05:34:14 PM
I don't know what would safe but I would think a mild, very dilute soap solution. To the point to its more of a wetting agent then cleaner. I wonder if there is anything like the old Kodak Photo flow...John   

John S.

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #68 on: August 28, 2012, 07:32:41 PM
Good idea John, Photo Flo would probably work well. I have been told this stuff works for https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=89030-112 expensive as hell though. The Library of Congress uses it on wax cylinders. You would have to own a bunch of wax discs to justify that cost.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

Offline Grainger49

Reply #69 on: August 29, 2012, 02:45:38 AM
John, I have a bottle of Photo Flow bought about 15 years ago for home-made cleaner.  There is almost a full bottle left.  It just takes a few drops per gallon.

Shawn, there is one LP, one sided, mono.  I thik that you have hit the nail on the head but I'll have to pass on the Library of Congress stuff.  I imagine that they have thousands of cylinders.  

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:18:36 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline aric

Reply #70 on: September 21, 2012, 08:42:49 PM
Will the VPI machines clean 45's?

thanks.

Offline denti alligator

Reply #71 on: September 22, 2012, 02:05:40 AM
Yeah, but you'll need a special 7" pickup tube. In my experience it doesn't work as well.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline Yoder

Reply #72 on: December 18, 2012, 03:49:19 PM
I just received my VPI 16.5 a few days ago. Wow! I did some before and after tests and it was mind boggling. One of the better vinyl purchases I have made. Sounds like a jet taking off when I fire up the vacuum, but the records do sound pristine once they are cleaned.

The wife went to Goodwill a couple of months ago and they were selling off somebody's record collection. All of the LP's had a personal catalog number and all were void of any scratches. They were selling for $1 each and she bought over 50. Got a fair amount of jazz, Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman," several Elton John's, etc. It is sweet to run into deals like this on occasion.

Offline Roger

Reply #73 on: December 19, 2012, 04:00:49 AM
Remember that even new records need to be cleaned. They are full of mold release.
Roger

Roger
VPI Classic (record player), Trigon advance (RIAA), Electrocompaniet EMC1-up (CD-player), BorderPatrol (line), Paramount v1.1 2A3 (power), Avantgarde Acoustics Duo Grosso (speakers)

Offline Wanderer

Reply #74 on: December 19, 2012, 04:13:03 AM
Remember that even new records need to be cleaned. They are full of mold release.
Roger

Go to VinylEngine and do a search on "mold release".

Been some debate about the use of mold release compound in record pressing being pretty much a myth. Folks who claim to be more insider than I state there is no such thing as "mold release compound". 

I dunno myself but I do clean even brand spanking new LPs. The only way I know it is clean is if I clean it.   

Kevin R-M