Isolation tweaks

Doc B. · 16812

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: February 14, 2013, 12:29:31 PM
Hey, it's a DHT preamp. We knew that microphony was a potential issue when we came up with the design. So I am starting a thread in which we will offer some ideas for isolation and damping.

After a little experimentation this week I have an initial tweak - 1-1/4" 30D Sorbothane hemispheres under each of the four corners of the chassis. I got some off ebay for $17 for the set. Tried smaller and higher durometer ones. They were not as effective, this one seems the sweet spot for the weight of the preamp (~12.4 lbs) and the dimension of the wood base panels. They should help to keep the floor/rack/shelf borne vibration out of the preamp chassis and they look pretty good.

A second and really cheapass approach that is very effective is to put each corner of the wood base on a folded piece of the larger bubble size bubble wrap. We folded four 6" squares over twice to make four roughly 2x2, four layer pads. This looks very lotech/dumpster diver/trailer park if that is the look you are going for.

Based upon a little experimentation yesterday I am also looking into an interesting tube damper concept, that I will share more about once I have given it a try.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:13 PM
My tube damper test subject showed up today. Seems to help.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 02:47:07 PM
And here is a close up of the amount of compression of one of the 30D 1-1/4" Sorbothane hemispheres on the base. These really do work well to cut down vibration from the shelf.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:49:37 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 01:56:18 AM
Dan, your tube damper looks like the ring off of a giant condom.  What is it?

Offline dbishopbliss

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:51:09 AM
Dan, your tube damper looks like the ring off of a giant condom.  What is it?

That condom looks sort of small to me.  :-)

David B Bliss
Bottlehead: Foreplay I, Foreplay III, Paramour I w/Iron Upgrade, S.E.X. w/Iron Upgrade
Speakers: FE127E Metronomes, Jim Griffin Jordan/Aurum Cantus Monitors, ART Arrays
Other: Lightspeed Attenuator, "My Ref" Rev C Amps, Lampucera DAC

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 04:52:26 AM
I need to do a little more research before I share the details.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Grainger49

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 05:57:28 AM
David,

I guess it depends on which tube it is on.  On my 76 drivers it is small, on the 300B a good bit larger.  But I've never seen the roll/ring that thick.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:48:37 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline saildoctor

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:34:32 AM
I use round welded stainless and bronze rings all the time at work.  Maybe plasti-dipped they could work as dampers?  Or maybe as is?  Hmm.. i should try this out.

Kerry Sherwin

45 Paramounts, 6SN7 Extended FPIII, OC3 regulated Seduction
Blumenstein Orca Deluxe / 2x Orca Subs
VPI Classic / ADC CD-100x

Offline ssssly

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 12:16:36 AM
I thought it looked like one of those rings you see at the carnival. Where you have to toss it over a bottle neck to win a stuffed animal.

Could start a new fad Doc. The bottlehead ring toss.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 04:59:14 AM
I thought it looked like one of those rings you see at the carnival. Where you have to toss it over a bottle neck to win a stuffed animal.

Could start a new fad Doc. The bottlehead ring toss.

Ah shoot, I've been figured out! The other part of the package is an equipment rack made of giant stuffed animals.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

4krow

Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 06:25:03 PM
Those kind of Sorbothane work good for me too, but a word of caution, they tend to be sticky, and most surfaces will show marks where they have sat. If sitting on top of a painted surface, it can really be bad, to the point that paint will have permanent marks. Sometimes, I use Scotch tape on the feet to provide a barrier. In spite of this problem, I still use Sorbothane feet for a lot of my components.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 07:27:50 PM
Very good point. They are really sticky, to the point where some smaller ones would stay stuck to the shelf when I pulled the preamp up! Tape is a good idea. I was thinking maybe talcum powder or pledge furniture polish, but those probably wouldn't last very long.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ssssly

Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 01:27:15 AM
My trick for those sticky Sorbothane balls is a cutting board.

Whatever those super thin, white cutting boards are made out of is actually a pretty decent dampening material (at least the ones they sell at the Japanese dollar store). And if you have a hole saw around the size of the Sorbothane ball you can make a nice little coaster out of it to protect your stuff.

Offline RPMac

Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 02:04:45 AM
What about the felt furniture pads on the bottom of the sorbothane pads?

4krow

Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 04:49:59 AM
Ya know, I actually did try that. Funny thing was, they wouldn't stay on. For some reason, the chemistry just wasn't there.