MrSpeakers Aeon with SEX

m@tty · 2869

Offline m@tty

on: August 29, 2017, 11:58:51 PM
Have been using my crack with HD650s for about a year and a half now but my wife complains about the noise from the open backs and my two year old makes a lot of noise all the time so been considering some closed back headphones and these look interesting but curious if anyone has heard them and would they be a good match with the SEX which could be my next diy project.
Hope to listen to them next month at a local hifi show and make my own mind up about the sound before spending but won't be able to listen with a SEX unfortunately

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 06:05:20 AM
I have not heard them, so I can't offer any insight into the sound. But I think you are on the right track to give them a listen before buying. Closed back cans typically have a different set of sonic characteristics than open back and you need to hear if the difference is acceptable.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mordicai

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:49:01 PM
Im very pleased with my MrSpeakers Ether headphones paired with my sex. My last pairing was the HD650 with the Crack, which was great but for me, but no where near as enjoyable as the Ether/Sex

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:34:17 PM
There may be a family sound to the MrSpeakers products, in which case it might be helpful if you could take a stab at characterizing the differences between the Ether and the HD650.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline m@tty

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 01:52:08 AM
A comparison would be good!
Changing to closed backs is a bit of a necessity due to not disturbing others in our open plan house and at all hours due to shift work.
Will be keeping my HD650s and Crack for when home alone..

Offline ejwt

Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 05:29:45 AM
I've just built the Crack (+ Speedball) for my HD600, and like it. 
But, like others have mentioned, closed back headphones are sometimes a necessary.  I already have the MrSpeakers Aeon, but looking for a tube amp or hybrid to drive them.  These are 15 ohm resistive impedance (I believe the Ether are 23 ohm). 
Any thoughts on driving this load with the S.E.X. 3.0?  I'm assuming the 4 ohm tap would be used.

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 06:49:19 AM
Those would be a great match for the SEX amp.  The four ohm setting is where I would start 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man