Project Debut Carbon vs Uturn Audio

aragorn723 · 10735

Offline aragorn723

on: September 22, 2017, 05:54:02 PM
Hi,

I'm looking for my first turntable, and have been considering the Pro-ject Debut Carbon and a custom Uturn Audio table.

Here's how I specd the Uturn:
Standard base
Ortofon 2M Red cartridge
Acrylic Platter
Cue

That comes out to $369

The Debut Carbon has an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, steel platter, and of course a cue lever.  Two things it has which the Uturn doesn't-a carbon tonearm, and a ground point.  That's $400.  Does the Debut Carbon have greater potential to be a better sounding turntable?

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 01:58:45 AM
Go for the Rega 1, I don't think you will regret it. At a later date perhaps go to a Nagoaka MP110 cartridge.

Excuse this guy's enthusiasm it's infectious. Check back through his cartridge reviews, all done at is own expense. Schitt phono amp gets the nod too.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 06:17:45 AM
Buy whichever one you can find used locally.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kgoss

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 06:28:02 AM
I agree with Paul. I have a used Rega Planar 3. If you get something like that and really like vinyl there are tons of upgrades you can do to it. And if you decide vinyl isn't your cup of tea you won't loose money selling it. My 2 cents anyway.

Ken Goss

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:07:54 AM
The Regas are really nice.  My Dad has one.  A couple of years ago, he played Billy Joel's Piano Man.  I couldn't believe the clarity of the piano and the tightness of the bass.  I just wish the Rca cable wasn't integrated.  Granted its probably very high quality.  Just a pet peave.  Used does sound good, maybe Audiogon has something.

Dave

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:03:09 AM by aragorn723 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 09:15:59 AM
Check your local Craigslist.  Not a lot of sellers are excited about attempting to mail a turntable, even if the factory packaging is available.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 09:28:15 AM
I did some searching on there earlier.  Ideally it would be a fully manual, belt-driven turntable with no built in preamp.  Found a pro-ject for $200, but it had a preamp built in.  I would have thought turntables like that would be on the cheaper side.  It seems like the reverse is true.  The less expensive ones are automatic.  Wish I never threw out the Technics I used to have.

Dave

Offline caffeinator

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 04:20:38 AM
HI Dave,

I haven't tried a Uturn turntable, but I have the Pro-ject, and can say it's just fine and certainly a good place to start.  Pro-ject does offer tweaks (acrylic platter, speed box, etc.) to step up its performance, as well as upgrade options, not to mention their wide availability and competitive pricing.  The Debut is a nice, simple table; easy to use and not fiddly at all.

I agree with the other posters; getting a good used table is a great approach, especially since appropriately packing a turntable to survive shipping seems beyond the ken of many or even most sellers.  If the local Craigslist is unavailing, you might find a stereo store that handles used equipment.  In the Seattle area, for example, I was just in Hawthorne Stereo the other day and they had quite an assortment of used tables.  That's not to say turntables can't be shipped; they absolutely can; I've had no problems with shipments from online retailers, it's just the private-party sellers who've been spotty at best.

I'd say, though, that if you find you really enjoy vinyl, this first turntable may not be your last, so perhaps which particular choice is less important at this point than going for the first good one that comes along and jumping in.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:15:27 PM
+1 on the Project.  I have the Debut Carbon with the new platter and speed box.  I played the Orton Red for over a year and upgraded to the blue this year.  For the amount of vinyl I listen to it's perfect: stable, clear and not too expensive.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline aragorn723

Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 06:23:15 AM
Hi,

I think I'd like to save up for a Rega.  Sounds like the last turntable I would need.  Would that be about the same level as my system?  Here's the components:

Quickie
Inter-m R500 solid state amp
1970's sony integrated (as phono stage thru tape loop)
Def Tech BP6B speakers

Would I need to upgrade anything else to get the most out of the Rega?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 12:54:26 PM
You've been kicking tires on an inexpensive turntable for over two years now...

You said you were amazed by the sound of an album you got a long time ago, what table were you using then?  Maybe you can pick one of those up used?  I just searched my local CL, and there are 20-30 acceptable budget turntables for less than $100. Back when you brought this up in 2015, the U-turn was recommended as well.  If you bring this up in 2019, the answer is likely to be very similar.
Hi,

I have been thinking about getting into vinyl (which might sound strange to most for a 34 year old guy).  Anyways, I got an old Linda Ronstadt album on 33 years ago at a garage sale, and was amazed by the sound.  I would like to try it again, but don't have a turntable anymore (and don't really want to spend money to try it).  My main stereo is the Quickie feeding a large SS amp, but have an Onkyo HT unit with a phono stage and a Sony TA series from the 70's with a phono stage.  Starting to digress a bit, but does anybody know of a way to get a record player for free or for a relatively low cost?

Dave
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 01:41:46 PM by fullheadofnothing »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 01:14:39 PM
Starting to digress a bit, but does anybody know of a way to get a record player for free or for a relatively low cost?

Go back in time about 15 years, before vinyl came back? I used to see them by the bucketful in thrifts stores in the late 90's and early 2000s.  Even today I can usually get two or three offers for tables if I offer to trade something for them.  Peebs is right, there's a ton of turntables for around $40 on the local CL.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline aragorn723

Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 04:55:57 PM
You've been kicking tires on an inexpensive turntable for over two years now...

You said you were amazed by the sound of an album you got a long time ago, what table were you using then?  Maybe you can pick one of those up used?  I just searched my local CL, and there are 20-30 acceptable budget turntables for less than $100. Back when you brought this up in 2015, the U-turn was recommended as well.  If you bring this up in 2019, the answer is likely to be very similar.

Guilty as charged lol.  I lost interest for a while, then moved down south and have found a ton of local record stores, and popped in Billy Joel's piano man on their turntable which was amazing.  I also found out my old Sony Integrated that has a phono stage can be hooked up to the Quickie thru the tape monitor.  That was another potential obstacle (thought I needed to buy a phono preamp too). 

A $40 turntable would be ok.  The one turntable that sounded amazing was a Rega rp1 maybe?  My dad has one.  I guess I'm hesitant to buy a more expensive player from someone I don't know off Craigslist though.  That coupled with so many choices :-p

What would you consider an acceptable turntable under $100?

Does this look decent?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/ele/d/kenwood-automatic-turntable/6315694658.html

Looks fairly simple and is belt driven.  It has also been listed for quite a few weeks.

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 05:05:02 PM
Or maybe this Onkyo? 

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/vintage-onkyo-cp-1200a-belt/6255179441.html

Still good price, and belt driven.  Looks like the cartridge is a standard mount too.  Can someone weigh in on the Onkyo and Kenwood?

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 02:35:56 AM
Persuade your dad to upgrade and buy the Rega from him?  ;)

If you're buying something cheap from Craigslist best to be able to see and hear it working before handing over your cash. This regardless of the price. Have a new cartridge or stylus in your budget. Use the fact that the cartridge maybe old and unknown in your negotiations.