aragorn723 · 10734

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 03:47:04 AM

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pboser

Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 03:56:07 AM
I cleaned up and gave my parents one of the Onkyos about 10 years ago - put a Grado on it and it worked great.  Actually, it was probably more like 15 years ago!  Anyway, it isn't being used and they have de-cluttered the house of records (I got them some Andy Williams Christmas CDs and some Jerry Vale - that's what they were missing.  They like to listen to the music channels on their cable tv system, so the receiver is hooked up to play tv audio), so I should probably rescue it. 
So it looks like a solid choice for a TT if it's working.  Or snag your dad's Rega! ;-)

Peter Boser

Offline aragorn723

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 03:53:50 AM
Thanks for the list!  I like the Yamaha and Technics (the Yamaha tuner Looks pretty sweet too!) but wonder about the cartridges.  The Yamaha has a standard mount, but the Technics is a p mount.  Would it make sense to get the Yamaha over the Technics for that reason?  Looks like the are a lot more choices for standard cartridges.  Would it make sense to put something like an Ortofon 2M Red on the Yamaha?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 03:55:50 AM
Flip a coin and go get one.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 10:07:47 AM
How do you play 45's on these?  I understand the speed part (changing the speed with a switch or changing the belt to a different pulley).  Is an adapter needed on the center post to accommodate 45s?  Are those a standard piece, or table specific?  Thanks,

Dave

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #20 on: October 01, 2017, 10:59:05 AM
Many record stores sell the ubiquitous yellow plastic adapters. Usually you can buy these in bulk, so you just install one in each 45 then never worry about it.

There are also reusable ones, some just a chunkier piece of metal or plastic, sometimes made as a promo for a label. They need to have an inner hole, which is the size of a standard spindle, and an outer diameter the same as the inner diameter on a jukebox-cut 45, also standard.

A web search for "45 adapter" will reveal both of these options.

A few tables have built in adapters, or some have an indent or peg on the plinth for storing a reusable adapter (see: Technics 1200) which may or may not be lost by the time the table reaches the used market. The first table PB posted has one sitting next to the arm.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:01:00 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline aragorn723

Reply #21 on: October 01, 2017, 01:59:09 PM
perfect, thank you.

Dave

Offline aragorn723

Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 12:04:57 PM
I'm seriously considering this onkyo now:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/vintage-onkyo-cp-1200a-belt/6255179441.html

It's hard to read what the cartridge is, best I can make out it's an Audio Technica 3483?  Nothing comes up when I google that.  I'd like to know if it's a conical or elliptical stylus.  If it's conical, is that ok to use for a while and save up for a cartridge with an elliptical stylus?  Will it damage my records a lot?  Thanks,

Dave

Offline pboser

Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 08:52:41 AM
It looks like AT 3482 to me. I googled and the original stylus is conical. I would think it’s not optimal but you will want to replace the stylus at a minimum if you don’t know the amount of wear. Maybe another A-T stylus will fit.
HTH,
Pete

Peter Boser

Offline aragorn723

Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 03:28:44 PM
Looks like this might work:

http://www.myneedlestore.com/generic-needle-stylus-for-audio-technica-atn-3472-p/

The more I think about it though, it seems like a better deal buying something like the Uturn with the om5e cart.  The Onkyo is from 1990 and 27 years old.  Just read a review of the Uturn from Michael Fremer (stereophile) and he gave it a very good review, although he tested it with the stock AT cart and then a Shure (the video of the shure playing waa amazing).

Dave