SEX 3.0 Transport Damage - can't find the source

yay · 3348

Offline yay

on: November 24, 2017, 11:00:10 PM
Hey, my SEX  3.0 had to endure some damage during shipping, apparently someone thought it was a good idea to throw the package on the ground or something.
The wood case was broken, but no visible damage on the electronics. I fixed the case, and tried the amp with some cheap speakers (i should've checked the resistences first, ignore me being dumb!). It worked fine, but there was an imbalance in the output. I checked all the resistences, and this is the result:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OgRru82lYEGJg7s2w0KMrTQqHbm1WGzVvfh4EakMXlE/edit?usp=sharing

I also took some pictures of the interior, so maybe someone can see some damage or weirdness that i have not been able to:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wtrG8TiyoTsVlWTu1

Offline JeffYoung

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:57:50 PM
Your resistance checks look good to me.  Have you run your voltage checks?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 06:54:15 AM
Have you swapped tubes from side to side to see if the imbalance follows?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline yay

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:02:37 AM
I have tested tube imbalance before. I would like to add that it's not a static imbalance. If i turn up the volume it almost doesn't change in one channel and get's normally louder in the other one.
It's much more obvious over speakers.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:11:34 AM
Is it full blast on one channel and variable volume on the other?  Have you checked the DC voltages?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline yay

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:37:39 PM
no, the other way around. right channel is much more silent, and reacts only very little to not at all to volume control. left channel works normally. i'm not 100% sure if right channel doesn't react at ALL to volume control or only very little, i think it's the 2nd.

i will post the DC voltages later today

Offline yay

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 06:23:04 AM
voltages are also all within 10%

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 07:59:49 AM
The upper and lower lugs on the volume pot on the headphone jack side of the amp need to be temporarily shorted together, then see if the issue goes away.

If the issue is still present, remove that jumper and put it between the upper and lower middle lugs on the volume pot, then recheck.

If that didn't change the issue, remove that jumper and jumper pin 10 on each 12 pin socket together, then recheck.

If that didn't change the issue, remove that jumper and jumper pin 3 on each 12 pin socket together, then recheck.

If that didn't change the issue, remove that jumper and jumper terminal 3 to terminal 17, then recheck.

If that didn't change the issue, remove that jumper and jumper the upper and middle inside headphone jack terminals together, then recheck.

If that didn't change the issue, remove that jumper and jumper the upper and middle outside headphone jack terminals together, then recheck.

Do note that if you can download a 60Hz tone onto your phone and play that through your SEX amp, you can measure AC voltages at a few spots and we can debug your amp that way.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline yay

Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:45:04 AM
Well i'm retarded it seems, i misread your instructions and jumpered terminal 10 to 12 instead of pin 10!
It smelled of burning, i turned it off quickly and now there is a very weird sound in the right channel. Kind of scratching, random noises. Like random space noise or something...

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 10:11:41 AM
Remove the jumper, do the voltage check, report any discrepancies.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline yay

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:01:29 AM
2   82
3   19
4   0
5   0
6   420
7   422
10   398

16   87
17   20
18   0
19   0
20   404
21   422
24   398
h2,h5   3,48
h4,h7   3,29

got these voltages, seem to be the same as before

as to the checks with the jumper: when i did the check number one and two, was the sound supposed to only come out of the left channel? The left/right sound came only from left side, but with correct volume and even adjustment to the volume pot. I tested with left/right testing video on youtube.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:03:29 AM by yay »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 05:22:19 AM
2   82
3   19
4   0
5   0
6   420
7   422
10   398

16   87
17   20
18   0
19   0
20   404
21   422
24   398
h2,h5   3,48
h4,h7   3,29
There are no discrepancies between these voltages and the voltages in the manual.

as to the checks with the jumper: when i did the check number one and two, was the sound supposed to only come out of the left channel? The left/right sound came only from left side, but with correct volume and even adjustment to the volume pot. I tested with left/right testing video on youtube.
We are looking to resolve the imbalance in output.  That is your reported issue.  If you lost the right channel, that is a new issue. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline yay

Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 05:33:49 AM
No, not as a new issue. That was what happened when i used the jumper positions in your suggested troubleshooting. (Before i made the mistake!)

These:
The upper and lower lugs on the volume pot on the headphone jack side of the amp need to be temporarily shorted together, then see if the issue goes away.

If the issue is still present, remove that jumper and put it between the upper and lower middle lugs on the volume pot, then recheck.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 06:10:20 AM
Was the pot damaged in this incident?  Maybe the knob took a hit?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline yay

Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:13 AM
I am unsure what happened exactly. When i opened the package, the wood base was split and the plate slightly bent (2mm maybe). I bent the plate back, and saw no damage on the electronics. The 100uF cap on the headphone jack side was bent, but i bent it back to it's correct position. No visible damage otherwise, no scratches on the inside or anything. They seem to have thrown the package, and the base just cracked.