Quickie in Finland

aholata · 4846

Offline IndyNate

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 08:03:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Joppa has said the PJCCS will actually reduce battery life by ~17%. This isn't a problem for me, as life without the PJCCS isn't worth listening to! It's a truly astonishing and needed upgrade. And yes, upgrading the coupling caps to anything Soviet makes a huge improvement. I use MBM paper-in-wax. You won't go back to poly caps.

Offline aholata

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 10:57:35 PM
Man, i still haven't had the stroke if inspiration or time (read being just lazy) to install the PJCCS...I'm sure i really should do it but just don't seem to get myself around to do it. I was really close though other day, i started some modifications on my quickie, installed mundorf caps and better potentiometer, the dact copy from ebay. But run out of the time to get to the PJCCS installation.

One question about it too, mine replacement pot is 20K, odered originally for B1 project, Is it Ok or should i oder 100k one?

The cap upgrade was very hearable betterment, potentiometer might made the sound little leaner, hence my question about the resistance of the pot. I'm running HQMC phono and Soekris DAC in to it soekris is 20ohm out and could't find the HQMC specs but the effect was same with both sources.

It could be just driving the pot in situation since it doesn't bother me that much any more and it was unused part, or sound might just goten little cleaner witch releted to me as leaner since there wasn't so much extra stuff coming out.

-Tatu-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 04:12:06 AM
A 20K pot will work, but is a pretty hefty load for some tube output stages compared to a 100K pot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aholata

Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 09:36:36 AM
Finally got the PJCCS in tonight...Listening impressions have to wait for few days, will be going to Rammstein concert tomorrow night so slight ear ringing will be around for few next days.

Also had some trouble with installation, voltages didn't match at first.  A6 was 35V, B6 was 25V and A5 was 3.07V, B5 was 2.07V.
After intensive couple of hours at forum found similar symptoms and solution.
Transistor leg near A0 of PJCCS board is little hard to solder, needs little more heat, Desoldered it and also at same touched up all other joints on PJCCS once i had it handy.

Now everything checks out ok and is up and running.

-Tatu-