Uncle Doug's Light Bulb Current Limiter

oguinn · 3284

Offline oguinn

on: July 24, 2018, 06:30:56 AM
I was watching some of Uncle Doug's YouTube videos and stumbled on one where he built a current limiter using a high watt light bulb. I wanted to see what other people thought of this as a safety device - is it worth building one?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:24:47 AM
Kelvin built one that we keep in the lab for bringing up gear that might have a fault that makes it draw excess current. That and a Variac are good tools to have if you are doing repair work.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 02:04:15 AM
I got fed up with variacs, light bulb limiters, and meters all over the desk so i built them all into one enclosure.  With the flick of a switch i can take the variac or limiter out of the circuit while the connected device is running 8)

If you are restoring old gear a variac and limiter is a must have.  Even building amps from scratch i highly recommend using them for the first power up, it has helped me catch a few mistakes in the past before i fried something.

M.McCandless