The Transformers hum problem is history today.

Felice · 1697

Offline Felice

on: September 21, 2018, 08:58:54 AM
Hello
Have replaced the hard washers with alpha gel washers. Now the transformers and the regulator board are floating on the aluminum plate. Off course isolated and grounded. Amazing how calm the Bee Pre plays now. For this, a huge sound profit. :)

Loudspeaker: Voice of the Theatre with Western Electric WE 555 KS6368   
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:31:03 AM by Felice »

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 01:29:57 PM
Where did you get these gel washers? I'm having some mechanical buzzing from my Kaiju power transformer, so these gel washers got my interest. Thx!

Raymond P.

Offline Felice

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:55:05 PM
Hello
now it depends on whether the transformer hum transmits over the tube to the speaker. If that's the case I recommend you use silicone gel washers. So that the transformer is isolated from the chassis of vibrations.
However, if a winding or a sheet of the transformer vibrates - which I do not believe - then the whole exercise is of no use or benefit.

Try it with 5mm gel slices between transformer and plate. The gel slices are very very soft. On the underside with 1 -2 mm slices. Of course, it depends on the weight and the length of the screws of the transformer.
Make sure that the power supply lines are not too tight.

https://rhynova.com/Vibrationsdaempfer/Gel-Daempfungsscheiben-Huelsen:::4_31.html

https://de.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/221000018813/?KWSearch=gelbuchse&searchFlow=results2products

Felix

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 01:49:44 PM

In my case with the Kaiju, I buzz is coming from the power transformer and is mechanical in nature. I cannot feel any vibration nor is any of it being transmitted through the tubes to the speakers that I can hear. I think you're right in that these gel washers won't benefit my situation. I have a BeePre kit coming, so your links might be helpful later, so thanks for them.

Raymond P.

Offline Felice

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:34:31 PM
On my pair of Paramount's the transformer lids sang along. An unpleasant whirring / whistling. No matter how hard you put them on. This I have coated with silicone, which does not harden, out of the car trade, on the inside.
Felix

Offline Felice

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 01:30:41 PM
pictures

4krow

Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 03:25:43 PM
  Thanks for the clear photos. Vibration suppression comes up in some of my projects/experiments, and there have been times that I went to great lengths to control it. Sorbothane 'T' washers, along with matching 'O' Sorbothane washers did the trick for me, but I do appreciate ideas of this nature as well. One consideration is the torque or tightness of the attaching bolt or screw, so as not to 'squish' all the goodness (load rating) of the washer being used.