Right Channel Issue, Continued...

oguinn · 5267

Offline oguinn

on: November 11, 2018, 07:54:48 AM
After grounding issues I saw in this thread, I ran a new pair of orange twisted wire parallel to the CAT5 already in place from the right input jack to the potentiometer which seemed to resolve the issue. Then I went away for two weeks for work, came back, and had an even worse sound problem on the right hand side.

I ran all the resistance checks. Everything was fine except the middle pin of the RCA jack. I reflowed that joint, which didn't solve the problem. I replaced the other orange pair from the tube to the pot and that didn't solve it either. At this point I'm wondering whether it's the pot or RCA jack itself, or if I've had a run of broken CAT5, or if I am truly garbage at soldering or what.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 08:02:41 AM
Here's a SoundCloud link to the sound that was coming out of the right channel. This was a cheap set of headphones with nothing plugged into the amp's input recorded by my iPhone. The noise started right after the LEDs on the C4S lit.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 08:12:00 AM
What is the resistance reading that you are getting that's concerning? 

Some of your joints could indeed use a little extra solder/heat.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 08:15:30 AM
At the center pin on the right RCA the reading was over limit.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 08:15:54 AM
What reading do you get between the outer pair of lugs on the volume pot where the orange wires land?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 08:19:48 AM
On the A side: 1 ohm. On the B side: over limit

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:22:38 AM
1 ohm is not really a possibility for what I'm asking for.  Maybe this will help.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 08:25:55 AM
Ah, ok. Sorry.

96.7K on the top lugs, over limit on the bottom (orange) lugs.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 08:58:41 AM
That indicates that your pot is damaged and needs to be replaced.  It is very difficult to damage a potentiometer, but occasionally crud can get inside and destroy the wiper or excessive tugging on the lugs can disconnect them from the carbon track.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 09:08:45 AM
Thanks, PB.

I’ve had weird balance issues from day one - including a tube that was damaged. What are the chances all of those things are due to the pot being damaged?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 09:25:22 AM
That's very difficult to say.  Tubes are incredibly resilient and will often tolerate issues like this without any complaining.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 09:30:20 AM
Got it. Ordered a replacement.

In the meantime, does the Stereomour stock kit use the same pot? Could I scavenge that while waiting on the replacement to ship?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 09:52:21 AM
Yes, just be sure to use the pot that says "A100K", not "B100K".

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 09:59:41 AM
Thanks, PB.

If I make it out to Seattle I owe you a nice bottle of something.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 03:15:24 PM
Alright, well... I'm still seeing issues. The left channel is fine, but the right channel sounds like it's under water. Very muffled. If I poke around, the only thing that is making noise is the pins toward the front of the chassis.

Here's what I've done so far.

• I scavenged the A100K pot from my Stereomour kit and installed it.
  • Replaced the orange striped pair from the pot to the tube and the terminal strip.
  • Reheated the joints on any pin that made noise when I poked it, specifically A8, A9 and A10.

I'm kind of at a loss at this point. Am I missing any potential causes? Should I just rip out the right side around the tube and start over?

Also - I emailed the replacements address a couple of times and haven't gotten a response. Not really in a hurry, but I want to make sure my emails aren't getting sent to spam.

Jameson O'Guinn

-