Quickie & Blumenstein Benthic

oguinn · 5837

Offline oguinn

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 09:16:52 AM
I think I understand. If I were to synthesize information from Jamie, Paul, and the X2 user manual, I think the attached image is what I'm going for. Anything in red or green are my edits. Am I on the right track?

I would have been pretty set but then PB's warning about Y cables made me nervous so I wanted to confirm.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:46 AM
One small tweak to that diagram would be a left output cable from the X2 to a left input jack on the amp (since my amp has both inputs).

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Jamier

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 04:37:18 PM
You've got it. I think PB was just reinforcing the cable directions/connections. Definitely add the other cable and input both L and R sides on your sub. You will have an improved low end that way. When you add the second sub you will really hear the difference. Don't hesitate to move your sub around and experiment with position in the room. Placement within the room can make a big difference. Don't cross too high, if you start to pickup the low end of the vocals you have gone too high. When you have stereo subs you can cross higher as long as your main speakers are close to the subs.

Jamie
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 05:24:55 PM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 05:39:04 PM
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations and help!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 05:48:35 PM
Remember, with one sub use the mono setting.
Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 07:02:04 AM
Holy shit, man. Adding the X2 had a massive impact. Before getting it I was preparing myself for turning it around and re-selling it if it didn't work, but this is a game changer. Thanks again for the advice!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #21 on: February 14, 2019, 08:50:00 AM
Jameson,

Really happy to hear that the X2 worked out for you. I love mine and it's proably the only piece of gear that is constantly in my setup. Crossing subs actively always seems to produce better results for me than using speaker level connections. When you add the second sub in stereo mode you will be even more impressed.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #22 on: February 14, 2019, 09:12:37 AM
I can only imagine.

I put a Smash in the chain to replace the Quickie and noticed that if I move the balance pot to the left channel, the bass disappears completely. I assume that's in how the X2 handles mono subs.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #23 on: February 14, 2019, 09:21:04 AM
That doesn't sound right to me. Do you have both inputs on your sub connected and the X2 in mono mode?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 09:28:27 AM
Yeah. It's strange. I have it hooked up the same way I outlined in the drawing above. I noticed the right side was sounding a bit louder and when I turn the SEX amp all the way down I noticed the bass is only coming out of the right side. If I turn the balance pot on the Smash all the way to the left, there's no sound.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 09:47:12 AM
Disconnect one of the sub cables, keep it in mono and see if that corrects  the problem. If it does,you will need to get the Y cable and run your X2 in mono mode with only one sub out connected but the Y inputting both channels on your sub.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 09:57:57 AM
Something is weird. Switched sources to my iPad and it's fine again. One of the following is happening:
  • The record I was listening to had the bass on one channel. It was a Sam Cooke album, so it might have been converted from mono and put all the bass on one channel.
  • When the Smash warms up it's exposing a shitty solder joint someplace.
  • Other weird problem tbd.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #27 on: February 14, 2019, 10:09:16 AM
Jameson, I would try connecting your sub, in mono mode, to each of the sub out connections in your X2, one at a time. This will tell you if you have a bad channel in the X2.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #28 on: February 14, 2019, 11:13:08 AM
Yeah, I unplugged one out connection at a time and there was bass. I believe this may be a balance pot problem on the Smash compounded by a recording that had the bass track moved to one channel during conversion from mono.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: February 14, 2019, 11:27:30 AM
Channels are out of phase.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.