What would you most like to see for new products? Choose one

Doc B. · 4521

Poll

Which of the following kit product ideas would you most like to build? Choose one.

A full preamp kit with phono input built in
19 (21.3%)
A premium priced ($2500+) 50 watt single ended amp kit
32 (36%)
A combo guitar amp kit with an effects loop
5 (5.6%)
A guitar amp head with an effects loop
2 (2.2%)
Guitar pedal kits
5 (5.6%)
A tube DI box kit
2 (2.2%)
A modular tube mixer kit
2 (2.2%)
A ribbon mic kit
1 (1.1%)
A mic preamp kit
3 (3.4%)
Synthesizer module kits
7 (7.9%)
Bring back the Foreplay II preamp kit for $249
11 (12.4%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: February 11, 2019, 09:50:37 AM

Offline elcraigo

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 11:16:39 AM
There is one tube synth that I know of. It's very expensive, but it sounds great and looks great.
Yep, you are right the old school synths are SS.
I think it's great this is not off topic on the Bottlehead board.
Here's a photo of my old school synth, can you image if this was tube based?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:22:08 AM by elcraigo »

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 12:13:28 PM
Man I'm old. I learned about synths on one of these -

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 01:26:10 PM
Dan, I would love an analog synth!  A Moog Mini new or used is silly expensive and I can't imagine something like this would be cheap even as a kit.  What are you thinking?  I still am unsure of what you would offer as a synth? 

Aaron Johnson

Offline jgarr4714

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 02:51:22 PM
I vote for synth modules.  Back in the late 70’s a company called PAIA electronics put out SS synth modules, lots of fun to build, and play with, I built a number of them.  But the down side for those was monophonic only.  Polyphonic capability would be advantageous.

Jim Garrett

Offline mightygrey

Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 02:11:06 AM
I'd be super-keen for a 300b tube buffer.

Offline elcraigo

Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 02:19:46 AM
I vote for synth modules.  ... PAIA electronics put out SS synth modules, lots of fun to build, and play with, I built a number of them. 
PAIA is still in business.
I think providing mono modules, that you could build one at a time, and then add, maybe up to 8 voices would be nice.
My Oberheim Dual Manual (pictured above) is an 8 voice, and that's always been enough for me. I usually split the voices 2 and 6 between the keyboard.
The analog module would likely be CV/Gate control I would think. A MIDI to CV/Gate converter, is an easy thing to buy. Using it without a controller for sound effects would be nice.

Craig Lewis (elcraigo is a nickname a good friend who grew up in Mexico gave me)

Offline elcraigo

Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 02:22:59 AM
Dan, that is a good one to learn on. Really allows getting the basics down

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 02:47:14 AM
I voted for a mic preamp kit, I bet you guys could build something killer. Given the chance to vote for more than one, a tube DI would be cool, the idea of a modular mixer that I could add onto as needed is very interesting, and a ribbon mic would be cool too. I also love the thought of a 50 watt amp, but my pockets are way too shallow. 

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 04:35:18 AM
I'd be super-keen for a 300b tube buffer.
We have one, called the BeePre.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thoburn

Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 05:05:31 AM
Definitely the 50+ SE amp. But, if that is the price each for a mono amp then it will be priced out of my reach. Ideally for me, it would be an integrated amp with selector switch and volume control like my Stereomour. And 60 watts would be even better!

Dynavector DV-20X2L > VPI Scout II > Musical Surroundings NovaPhonomena
Mac Mini > USB DACiTx
Stereomour > Lowther Medallion DX4 and Rythmic Subs
Monster Power HTS3600

Offline Sugar Man

• The Last Honest Lawyer
Reply #25 on: February 08, 2019, 05:24:44 AM
Have you guys ever thought of selling Bottlehead-approved component upgrade kits for your current products? Like a base Stereomour II, but then a Stereomour II+ with better trannies, capacitors, resistors, tubes, etc. Of course many of us do this on our own, but to have the designer(s) offer a package that adds sonic benefits, albeit at extra cost, would be a way to keep the price competitive on the base kit, but also allow better performance for those willing to spend more.

Mike "Stein" Ayotte

Current Gear:

Elekit TU-8600 300B w/Lundahl Trannies
Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Rega RP8 w/ Apheta 2
Bluesound Node 2i
Audio Note E Speaker Kit-04 w/ AlNiCo drivers

Stereomour II w/ Jupiters
Eros w/ Mundorf Silver Oils
Blumenstein Orcas & Subs

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: February 08, 2019, 11:50:22 AM
I get what you're saying here, and I'll offer that where "better" is in terms of parts swapping is quite personal. IMO boutique caps and the like are pretty easy for anyone to do on their own. That is why we have always focused on actual circuit design changes that are more difficult for the end user to do on their own, like the shunt regulator, DC filament supply and stepped attenuator upgrades we offer for Stereomour II.

I am really digging all of the input we are getting with this poll. This really gets into a whole different subject of the basic premise behind basic kits and upgrades and what we consider to be improvements. I think maybe these kinds of ideas might be better presented in a separate thread so we can keep the focus here on the original topic.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline autoformer

• S.E.X. with Orcas
Reply #27 on: February 08, 2019, 02:26:24 PM
The choices in the poll span markets.

For the commercial hi-fi market, I think the preamp with integrated phono stage has the most potential. What would be great is to offer an option for a small Class D module to be integrated into the build. Something like a B&O ICEPower 125ASX2. Heresy, I know, but that is exactly what I’m planning to do with an old Foreplay kit that I’m building. There are so many user applications where a one-box solution makes sense. My own family room the adjoins our kitchen is a good example. It’s where we mostly hang out, but there is just enough room for a single Bottlehead chassis, and a turntable. And also, apart from the Jaegers, the speaker choices that are efficient enough to work well with single ended amps are few, esoteric and costly. It would be very nice to have a hybrid Bottlehead integrated that had the power to drive the inefficient speakers you see everywhere. I’d be surprised if such a thing didn’t become Bottlehead’s best seller.

For the pro market, no doubt that a tube mic pre would generate a lot of interest, particularly if the kit had some interesting build options, for example:
— For condensers, ~1.5k input impedance and P48
— For passive ribbons, ~65k input impedance with 70dB+ gain.

It would be nice to just have some sort of “ribbon mode” switch that would disable P48 and raise the input impedance. Bonus if it could have a variable input impedance control. Also, I would suggest that it should be in a 3U steel rack-mount chassis.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:43:46 PM by autoformer »

Jim Laurel

Offline Frank Mena

Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:46 AM
I'll add my two cents (really 1.5 cents in CND currency).... how about a really nice (gasp) push pull  amp or perhaps differential topology? .. say approx 20W or there abouts??  ....a DHT headphone amp would be cool..... the 2p29l might fit the bill...

Cheers
FM

Foreplay 2, Paramour with iron upgrade, Seduction, Theater 4 pi Speakers, DIY TT with Jelco 750 tonearm and Denon DL103R with cinemag steups

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:48 PM
Man I'm old. I learned about synths on one of these -

Are you Keith Emerson? Wait, never-mind.