Any point in tube rolling on Smash?

oguinn · 3371

Offline oguinn

on: March 06, 2019, 09:20:40 AM
Reading through a couple threads, it appears there doesn't appear to be any real point in tube rolling on the Smash. It sounds like 4P1Ls are made by one manufacturer - so no real benefit there. What about the 0D3 (pre-Smashup), or the 6SN7 (post-Smashup)?

Just wondering if there's any point in looking for new tubes beyond having spares.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Tom-s

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
Within 4P1L tube's there's not much variety to look for. Scrolling trough other forums you find that some have tested a lot of 4P1L's and a trend may be found with older 4P1L measuring better. Other then that, don't know.
The only 4P1L i'd look for is the one with the least microphonics.

For better sound from a Smash, there may be some parts that have an influence on sound that can be improved.
The shunt regulator Smash-up upgrade will make the biggest difference. Maybe there's something to be gained by improving the filament supply?

From what i've read with other amps, the shunt tube will make a minor or no difference in sound.

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:50:58 AM
Makes sense. I'll stick with what I have, grab a couple spares, and put no effort into rolling.

Thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:34:56 AM
I have subjectively found the early tubes sounds better to me, i.e. 1960-1970 manufacture date, but never bothered to try and measure and quantify that.  They generally have more getter material on the glass making it almost impossible to see the internal structure.  As far as i know they were all made by Svetlana.

There is one exception, i have a set i am pretty sure nobody has seen as they are prototype 4P1L's made by Tesla in Czechoslovakia.  I am almost ashamed to admit i never got around to powering them up :-[

M.McCandless

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:36 AM
Wow, that's really cool!

I just got four in from Romania, and the one I tried seems to have solved the imbalance issue I was having with the tube included in the kit.

Jameson O'Guinn

-