Noise with Computers, USB DACs, and Powerline Ethernet Kits

Paul Birkeland · 33818

Offline oguinn

Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 05:13:51 AM
Installed this last night and all seems to be well so far. One caveat for folks wanting to try this in the future - the ground tab opening gets pretty congested with the two buss wires and the twisted leads of the diodes. Prepare for some cussing and finagling. It definitely helped to clear all the extant solder out of the hole first.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline HMF

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 12:35:27 PM
Hello,

This is a mod I would like to try as I have always had a bit of noise from my PC audio.

That said, I am essentially a beginner with this stuff. I built a Crack + Speedball and had no issues. However, to mod my crack I'm a bit lost. I have an original Crack and not 1.1. Your picture looks a bit different than mine does. Mine looks exactly like in this picture - https://i.imgur.com/ZknbokI.png . This is pulled from the original crack manual, as my Crack is on currently and hot.. haha. But, it looks the same.

How would I go about performing this mod? Also, do you need 2 x STTH2R06 diodes?

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks!

HMF

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 02:01:19 PM
There is no difference in installing the diodes in the Crack 1.0 vs. 1.1.  Both amps have a piece of buss wire from the IEC power entry ground to the chassis solder lug.  This is cut out, then the diodes are soldered in its place.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline HMF

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 02:28:25 PM
There is no difference in installing the diodes in the Crack 1.0 vs. 1.1.  Both amps have a piece of buss wire from the IEC power entry ground to the chassis solder lug.  This is cut out, then the diodes are soldered in its place.

Ahhh. So you leave the buss wire going from the chassis soler lug -> terminal 16L, and replace the buss wire going from the chassis solder lug to the IEC power entry ground with the 2 diodes?

In that case.. easy peasy.

I was confused about the black wire in the original posts attached pciture running into the chassis solder lug, as I don't have that present on my Crack. Wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 02:43:45 PM
Yes, that's all you need to do.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 05:05:09 AM
Yes, the 1N5408 would work well.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline jtori

Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 12:23:46 PM
Implemented this on my Speedballed Crack, which had been exhibiting clicking due to the mesh extender I installed.  The fix worked like a charm.  Thanks, Paul!

Joe.

Offline Jimb0

Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 05:16:26 PM
This mod removed the noise I was getting from my DAC. Thanks for this great mod PB!

Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Reply #23 on: September 03, 2019, 11:04:38 PM
This is the best $2 you can spend on the Crack. Perhaps it would be worth including these diodes with the kit and adding the mod into the manual.

Offline Jimb0

Reply #24 on: September 04, 2019, 09:34:29 AM
This is the best $2 you can spend on the Crack. Perhaps it would be worth including these diodes with the kit and adding the mod into the manual.

I concur  8)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: September 04, 2019, 10:15:11 AM
I sure do like having the safety ground connected with a solid piece of wire when a component is being powered on for the first time!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline grufti

Reply #26 on: September 04, 2019, 11:37:26 AM
How about SF51-B diodes? Do those make the cut?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 12:52:09 PM
Those are going to have leads that are quite fat, and it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't get one properly attached to the #8 solder lug. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline grufti

Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 01:23:42 PM
I asked because I used those years ago when I built my Crack amp. Aside from the fat leads are their electrical parameters suited to the task?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #29 on: September 04, 2019, 01:56:37 PM
I asked because I used those years ago when I built my Crack amp. Aside from the fat leads are their electrical parameters suited to the task?
Yes, electrically they would be fine for isolation.  Hopefully you didn't use them in place of the UF4007s in the power supply though!

Paul "PB" Birkeland