Crack 1.1 noise in right channel

A Jedi · 6190

Offline A Jedi

on: June 22, 2019, 07:48:14 AM
Hey gang, just finished my build and I have noise in the right channel. I've looked through the other posts with this issue but haven't found something that exactly matches my situation.

The details:
All build tests and checks are a-ok.
All noise issues are in the right channel.
Both LEDs are working as expected (constant ON with power).
I've visually inspected all connections and see no issues.
Makes no difference if RCAs are plugged in or not.
The noise is volume independent.
I've seated and reseated the tubes several times and it makes no difference.
The first time I turned it on with my headphones plugged in, I was getting loud twangs from vibrations on the chassis. Like if I moved the chassis or tapped it or anything else that causes vibrations. This issue seems to be disappearing as I use the amp more and more.
There is a quiet intermittent noise in the right channel. It mostly sounds like a buzz. Once it sounded exactly like a mosquito next to my ear.
The worst part is that it's intermittent so I can't correlate it to anything.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:02:25 AM by A Jedi »

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 07:49:45 AM
If you’re getting noise when you tap the chassis it could be a loose or undersoldered connection. Could you post some pictures of your build?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline A Jedi

Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 09:51:19 AM
Any area in particular or everything?

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 10:00:28 AM
The more the better but probably want to focus on the area around the input and headphone jacks and tubes. And maybe take a pass through the hardware and make sure everything is tightened down.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 10:01:58 AM
Caveat: I’m just some guy and don’t work for Bottlehead so I might have you focused on the wrong things. This is where I’d start, but you may have to post a couple rounds of photos.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 10:07:41 AM
It could just be a tube that needs to settle in. Try letting it run for a few hours and see if anything changes.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline A Jedi

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 11:21:34 AM
Caveat: I’m just some guy and don’t work for Bottlehead so I might have you focused on the wrong things. This is where I’d start, but you may have to post a couple rounds of photos.

It's all good. Any suggestions help. I'll post some pics later when I shut it off....can't stop listening to it (even with the damn noise) lol.

Offline A Jedi

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 11:23:14 AM
It could just be a tube that needs to settle in. Try letting it run for a few hours and see if anything changes.

Yeah I've had it on for a several hours a day and it did get better but it's reached a plateu in improvement and there is still some noise.

Offline A Jedi

Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 11:30:58 AM
BTW, is the chassis plate supposed to be hot to the touch? I expect the tubes to be hot but didn't think enough heat would be generated to heat up the entire thing.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 01:13:32 PM
Sure, the chassis plate will be warm.  What wireless devices do you have around your Crack?  The mosquito comparison makes me suspicious that you're picking up noise from another device.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline A Jedi

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2019, 01:47:07 PM
Sure, the chassis plate will be warm.  What wireless devices do you have around your Crack?  The mosquito comparison makes me suspicious that you're picking up noise from another device.

My cell phone is next to me pretty much always. The mosquito sound only occurred on one occasion. Will post pics shortly and then start going over every solder point.

Offline A Jedi

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2019, 02:07:11 PM
Here are some pics:

Offline A Jedi

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2019, 02:09:17 PM
And more

Offline A Jedi

Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 02:10:01 PM

Offline A Jedi

Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 02:10:39 PM