Good closed back headphones for Crack?

oguinn · 2512

Offline oguinn

on: July 11, 2019, 04:59:38 PM
This question’s been asked before, I’m sure, but I’m looking for recommendations on good closed back headphones. I’m moving back into an office environment and my HD6XXs aren’t office-friendly. Probably looking around the same price range as the HD6XXs

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 05:09:27 PM
Looks like the Beyerdynamics DT770s were previously recommended. Have there been any other challengers in the intervening years?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 06:11:29 PM
Sennheiser HD25-13. Good luck, it only took me about 5 years to find a pair.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 06:12:50 PM
If I start looking now I’ll have them just in time to get another change of office.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline tim273

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 03:48:06 AM
I can most definitely recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, but I went a step further, I replaced the drivers with the 600 ohm ones: https://www.markertek.com/product/byd-935037/beyerdynamic-935037-600-ohm-headphone-driver and the result is awesome!  They now have excellent bass and great detail.  The discontinued DT770 Premium 600 ohm had a reputation for being bass light, but the ones I did don't have that problem at all, if anything they almost have better bass (more tight and controlled and in the same volume) then the 250 ohm version.  That could also be because of the higher impedance being a better match with the Crack.  They are a bit bright, but I purchased an Schiit Loki EQ to tone that down.

It was a bit spendy, purchasing the headphones and the separate drivers, but it was well worth it.

Just as a side note, a couple months ago I saw a DT770 Premium 600 Ohm auction on Ebay and it went for over $300, so there might some resale value there too. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:17:48 AM by tim273 »

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 04:17:06 AM
How big of an effort was it to replace the drivers? I haven’t really messed around with headphone mods before.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline tim273

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 04:39:13 AM
It wasn't too bad, if you've soldered a speedball kit, it's no smaller than that, it's just getting into tight spaces and having something (or someone, like my wife) to hold the pieces while you solder.  I've done it twice, the first time I had my wife help me by holding it, last night I did a second pair and used a vice and that worked too.  I've attached some pictures that I took before I did the upgrade.  The biggest thing is just matching it up before and after.

I've done this mod to the two pairs of DT770's that I have.  The first pair looked like the pictures both before and after, but with the second pair, the 600 ohm drivers had lugs, so it was a bit easier.  (I didn't take pictures of them).

If you just keep track of which wires match up, it's not too bad.

In the pictures, the three wires (gold, red and blue) come from the cord and the the solid red/white ones go to the other side.

When it comes to taking them apart, there's several Youtube videos on how to do that, I think I used this one:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:44:18 AM by tim273 »

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 01:46:23 PM
I have another notable recommendation, one I used to own.

Sennheiser HD250 Linear (600 Ohm) or the Linear II (300 Ohm).

The original 600 Ohm version is more common.  These are a very high-performing "vintage" Sennheiser that pairs well with OTLs like the Crack.  You can usually find a good condition pair on eBay.  Very, very good soundstage and resolution for a closed back.  I bought an unopened pair on eBay, the pads had disintegrated, I purchased ZMF Universe pads to replace them which worked very well.  You can also find replacement parts online (the replacement foam filters that go in front of the driver, for example).  The only real issue I had with them is they do not have a very strong clamping force, which is great for some people, but how good of a seal you get does affect the bass response.  Probably also has to do with the shape of your head :)

Current eBay listings:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Sennheiser-HD250-Linear-1-600ohm/233291781190?hash=item3651461446:g:cx0AAOSwVXpdMlTb
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sennheiser-Kopfhorer-HD250-linear/293153565164?hash=item44415069ec:g:uT4AAOSw6ZRdLNtG

Head-Fi thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd250-linear-impressions-micro-thread.845221/
Head-Fi review: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sennheiser-hd-250-linear-ii.12984/reviews

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:49:38 PM by L0rdGwyn »

Keenan McKnight

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 05:13:12 PM
[quote  Probably also has to do with the shape of your head :)
[/quote]

Did you try taking your helm off?  ;D

John Scanlon

Offline oguinn

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 05:13:29 PM
Thanks, Tim and Keenan!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline L0rdGwyn

Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 05:00:28 AM
[quote  Probably also has to do with the shape of your head :)

Did you try taking your helm off?  ;D

You know, no one has ever suggested that before, maybe I will give it a try!!!

In all seriousness, it is permanently attached, a burden I must bear.

Keenan McKnight

Offline oguinn

Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 11:16:47 AM
I picked up a pair of HD25-13s off eBay. Haven’t listened yet, but they came from a smoker’s house and absolutely reek. I’ll have to see what I can do to get the tar and other garbage off these. Woof.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline sl-15

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 12:05:02 PM
Hi, I know this thread is a bit older by now but I am wondering how you ended up liking the HD25-13?
Thanks

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline oguinn

Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 01:48:17 PM
They weren’t for me. Didn’t really like the shape of the ear cup and I thought the sound quality wasn’t as good as my 6XXs. I sold them a month or so later.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Bullpride

Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 03:01:17 PM
ZMF Atticus is the reason a built my BHC. If you can fit it I. Your budget, they are amazing.