120V to 220V higher readings, 2nd problem noticeable hum both channels

Jimb0 · 2498

Offline Jimb0

Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 02:03:26 PM
Thank you Paul. I will look to get one

Offline Jimb0

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 11:26:29 AM
I was able to test it on the step-up transformer and everything checked out fine. Thanks for the help as always Paul!

Offline Jimb0

Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 08:43:26 AM
Hi Paul. I did not do a listening test on the 220v until now. I'm getting a hum on both channels. I was not getting a hum on the 120v configuration. Any thoughts why this is happening?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
What are you using for a step-up device? What are you using for a source?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jimb0

I'm using a Seyas 120v to 220v 500w step up converter. Source is a Schiit Modi Multibit hooked up to my desktop
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 09:36:38 AM by Jimb0 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Try using your phone with a 1/8" to RCA cable as the source to see if the hum goes away.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jimb0

tested it on my phone but still having the same issue

Offline Jimb0

I also want to mention that I went ahead and rewired it back to 120v a few hours ago and tested it with my headphones. I was getting a hum as well.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Are the voltages still OK?  Is the hum in both channels?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jimb0

Rechecked the voltages, everything seems okay. Could it just be a cold solder joint? I'm resoldering any suspect joints right now

Offline Jimb0

Rechecked it after resoldering the joints. Still getting the hum. The hum increases when I raise the volume as well. It is in both channels.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
If you have no hum with the pot all the way down, but hum with the pot all the way up, I would be looking at the grounding wires around your RCA jacks, and ultimately I would check on the grounding connections from the IEC power entry module. 

Ultimately you could simply have a wire that has broken in the process of rewiring the power transformer.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jimb0

PB,

The hum is there as soon as I turn on the amp. It then gets louder when the headphones receive the signal from the amp.

Resoldered all the grounding wires on the RCA jacks, even tried replacing the wire from the IEC power entry to terminal 13 on the transformer.

There's a hum even with nothing plugged into the RCA, it's immediate as soon as I turn the amp on.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
You definitely have a loose wire, broken wire, or something not well connected.  If it's there right when the amp is on, then I would suspect some kind of issue around the H terminals as a strong possibility. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Jimb0

Paul,

I carefully inspected and resoldered almost every wire on the amp, paying close attention to the ones on the IEC power entry module and H terminals and I'm still getting noise. Is it possible there is another reason for the buzz, possibly one of the tubes has gone bad? I remember having a similar issue with a Crack when I was removing and reinserting the tubes several times. Could this be it? Is there anyway to test it?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:38:10 PM by Jimb0 »