New Eros 2

adeep42 · 2330

Offline adeep42

on: August 18, 2019, 11:01:22 AM
Hi Paul,

New Eros 2 is now in system that I was building it for. I'm having a new problem. Noise in the right channel. It's kinda scratchy, static like, relatively low pitched and intermittent. I thought it was a tube issue, so I made some changes. Wrong again. Your thoughts please.

Alan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 11:05:31 AM
That sounds a lot like interference from something like a powerline ethernet kit, wifi router, etc.  Some cell phones can cause noise like this, though that hasn't been nearly as much of an issue with more recent hardware.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adeep42

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:20:34 AM
Just unplugged the Apple AirPort Express that I use for AirPlay on that system. No Effect!!. Changed some of the electrical plugs around. No effect. Definitely not a cellphone. Also, only left channel. Confirmed that by switching output interconnects.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 11:45:15 AM
You can also try a cheater plug on the power cord to see if that disrupts the noise. 

I'm hoping that you have shorted the inputs or at least have the interconnects from your turntable hooked up for evaluating this.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adeep42

Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 02:19:39 PM
interconnects are in. Excuse my ignorance, What is a cheater plug?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 05:47:55 PM
Like this.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adeep42

Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 04:28:04 AM
I'll pick one up and give it a try.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 09:17:45 AM
Alan,

I had a similar experience after I changed my TT and VPI TT speed controller to a the opposite side.
I also changed IC cables to a new pair.  I tried everything to isolate the problem and narrowed it down to either outside interference or my new IC’s were picking up interference.  So, I changed back to the original configuration.  I changed back to the original configuration and went back to the original IC’s and the intermittent scratchy noise went away completely.

Hope this might help. Good luck.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline adeep42

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 06:24:05 AM
Thanks Richard. This system is in a different location so I can't change back. Have tried changing interconnects, etc, but can't seem to isolate the problem YET. Definitely appreciate the input. That's what is so great about the Bottlehead forums.

Paul, got a cheater plug, no change. Am using a Rega TT in this system. Rega doesn't use a separate ground wire. They have their own way of doing things. Am looking into how to do a separate ground. Also will switch the Eros 2 with my other Eros. Just need the time to do everything. Your ongoing help is most appreciated.

Alan

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 06:43:00 AM
You might also want to leave the Eros on overnight to let the tubes settle in.  I do not recall hearing any noise when I had your Eros here, but it's not that abnormal for tubes to need to settle in before they will be their quietest.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adeep42

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:48 AM
Hi Paul,

Running on empty (a bad Jackson Brown pun) for over 48 hrs. Scratchy sounds and occasional pops still there.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 11:22:01 AM
Is this noise present with nothing plugged into the inputs of the Eros?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adeep42

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 06:09:55 AM
Is this noise present with nothing plugged into the inputs of the Eros?
Yes,

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 06:24:30 AM
How about with the inputs shorted?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline adeep42

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 06:39:16 AM
How should I do that?