News: Trouble logging in? Log in from the login page.
October 23, 2019, 01:12:48 PM

Author Topic: Ordered a S3X + C4S: And now...?  (Read 250 times)

Offline tvr2500m

Ordered a S3X + C4S: And now...?
« on: October 11, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
I ordered an S3X + C4S. I am already enjoying a Crack, but wanted all my headphones, not just the Drop + Senn HD6XX, to get in on the Bottlehead fun. As I await shipment/delivery, I'm now either planning ahead or getting ahead of myself...

The 6FJ7 Compatron looks nifty enough, but poking around for replacement/rolling availability, it does look like there are loads more 6DN7s around than 6FJ7s. And more different manufacturers of 6DN7s. Reading about the choice to switch the S.E.X from the 6DN7 to the 6FJ7, it was about diminishing ability to supply 6DN7s for the S.E.X. But poking around a bit, the Compactron seems the rare bird now.

Maybe wire up my S3X with an octal socket to use the 6DN7? Kinda easy enough. Looking at the 6FJ7 pin out on the datasheet, four of the twelve pins don't connect to anything and/or aren't used.

???
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 06:31:08 PM by tvr2500m »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Re: Ordered a S3X + C4S: And now...?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »
You could certainly put octal sockets in and use the 6DN7.  They got extremely scarce and expensive for a while, so we switched to the compactron.  They are internally identical, though it seems to be much easier to make a matched pair of compactrons, as there are fewer variants. 
Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

• DIY Audio Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:22:39 PM »
6FJ7 tubes are so cheap, too. I got a good stash for less than a set of 2A3s
Jameson O’Guinn

-

Main System: Bottlehead DAC prototype, U-Turn Orbit, Reduction w/ Integration, Smash w/ Smashup & SmashQuiet (replacing w/ BeePre), Stereomour II w/ DC Filament & Shunt Regulator (replacing w/ Kaiju), SEX 3.0 w/ C4S, Blumenstein Orcas, HD6XX

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline tvr2500m

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 03:33:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies...

I'll ponder the octal/6DN7 thing...

Fewer variants... Boons and banes. Living for the last long time with gear that uses popular and large tube families  - 12AX/U/T7s, 6550s/KT88s/etc., EL34s/etc., 6CG7s, 6SN7s - the great thing is that there are so many tubes to choose from; and that's also the bad thing -- that are SO many tubes to choose from.

I didn't find in my searches so far good sources of 6FJ7s I consider to have extensive inventories or inexpensive prices. I haven't found many sources at all. If anyone might point me in the right direction, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Cheers!

Offline oguinn

• DIY Audio Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 03:57:12 PM »
I emailed Dale at vacuumtubes.net and asked him for four matches tubes. With shipping it was $27. I also bought a bunch from eBay that have worked fine.
Jameson O’Guinn

-

Main System: Bottlehead DAC prototype, U-Turn Orbit, Reduction w/ Integration, Smash w/ Smashup & SmashQuiet (replacing w/ BeePre), Stereomour II w/ DC Filament & Shunt Regulator (replacing w/ Kaiju), SEX 3.0 w/ C4S, Blumenstein Orcas, HD6XX

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline tvr2500m

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 06:26:32 PM »
Thanks. I'll drop 'em a line...