• Bottlehead
on: December 05, 2019, 05:22:44 AM

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adydula

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 02:15:14 PM
Gee Doc!

For an old fart you look really good in that vimeo video!!

:>)

Alex

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 03:48:16 PM
Good cameraman. I'm way scarier in person.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Larpy

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 04:57:39 PM
Was that Paul Birkeland slinging solder in the video?

Larry

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 05:43:13 AM
The soldering stunt man is Ben Rupp, the producer of the video. I'm not sure if the world is ready for a video showing PB. But you can hear his voice on this one -

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline attmci

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 05:53:21 AM
Bottlehead should publish more videos like Paul McGowan. LOL

Offline Tom-s

Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 11:18:53 PM

Offline larcenasb

Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 05:06:59 PM
Thanks, Tom! It was really fun to hang with Doc and compare those amps! :)

Lowell B.

Offline sl-15

Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 04:27:17 PM
Hi larcenasb, Thanks for the great write up.
I looked into the AKG 240 Sextet you are using and got very curious about them. Found a good pair on the auction website and bought them. It looks like you did some mods to yours? The cushions look big and plush. Can you tell me where you got them from and if you did any other mods. Thanks, Best, Stefan

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline larcenasb

Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 06:26:19 PM
Hi Stefan!

You're welcome! And yeah, I'm using Brainwavz hybrid angled earpads (https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-angled-hybrid#prod). They're actually 30% off right now directly from Brainwavz, but are available for a little more on Amazon too.

They make the headphones so much more comfortable, by letting your ears not touch the driver grilles of the headphones. Also, bass is more prominent and the sense of space is widened. I tried the all-pleather Brainwavz version as well, but the airtight seal made the bass too strong and the overall sound too muddy for me.

TIP 1: The earpads will require a little pre-stretching before putting them on. I gently pull the elastic edge that flaps over the earcups (see 1st attached photo)--pull gently, then move on to the next area, all the way circumferentially. Then do a couple more rounds, each time pulling a little bit more. In the end, they should be noticeably wider diametrically.

TIP 2: When installing the earpads, I invert the flap (see last 3 photos), place the pad on the earphone, then flap over the pad little-by-little on the earphone, while holding in place what's already flapped over.

The only other mod I did was re-cable the headphones with Mogami W2893 mini quad cable.

Also, remember that you may have to clean out rotted foam inside the earcups (I just replaced it with packaging foam I had and cut it to shape) and replace the elastics in the headphone (https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/165920-akg-2040m03030-rubber-loop-for-k240).

These cans are of course from the 70s-80s and may take some work. But after a little TLC, they've brought me continuing listening pleasure. I hope you experience the same! Cheers
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:30:04 PM by larcenasb »

Lowell B.

Offline sl-15

Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 07:22:39 PM
Very cool, thanks for the detailed answer. It is going to probably take another week or so for them to get to me then I will see what shape they are in, how they sound etc. Re-cabling eventually is on my list too.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa