New Eros In Progress

oguinn · 768

Offline oguinn

on: January 09, 2020, 01:07:51 PM
I’ve started building my Eros. I got the hardware installed today. Really digging the matte black on orange with the walnut base. I need to sand down the interior lip of the base to accommodate the added width from the powder coat, then apply the tung oil coat. Thanks to everyone for the recommendation on the oxide screws!

I’ll update as I progress through the build.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 06:46:11 AM
Also, quick question for Paul or Doc - I've in the past gotten the amp pretty well down the path to being complete only to find that I hadn't scraped enough paint off the transformer bell. Is there a way to test that before I move into the soldering phase so I can fix it prior to it becoming a true pain in the ass?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 07:44:30 AM
Sure. Test continuity from one of the transformer mounting screw heads to the safety ground screw. Test one (or all) of the three screws that is not attached to the drain wire. Those screws are connected to the safety grounded screw thru the bell and/or lam stack - assuming the star washers have properly cut thru the paint or varnish when the mounting screws are tightened.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 10:36:25 AM
Perfect, that worked. Thanks Doc!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 11:10:38 AM
After a couple hiccups I wrapped up construction on my Eros today. Holy shit! What an amp! It's such a massive step up from the Reduction that I'm feeling comfortable holding off on the turntable upgrade I was planning in favor of a new set of speakers. Jagers maybe?

Many thanks to the Bottlehead crew for such an awesome amp, and also to the community for their eagle eyes. I still need to finish the base, but I'm too busy spinning some records.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 01:05:06 PM
Cool, I'm glad it went well, and it's looking nice.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man