Ways to add send signal to a Sub from my stereomour

Agweeks · 2564

Offline Agweeks

on: January 20, 2020, 12:10:58 PM
I would like to add a subwoofer my Klipsch La Scalas. With my rock records I find myself looking for frequencies below 50k, especially at low volumes.

I have a Stereomour. A powered sub may be a good solution. I can also buy or build a separate power amp. Any suggestions or examples would be welcomed.

Could I create a signal output from the preamp stage to feed a power amp and crossover for the sub/subs. I am thinking the signal could be controlled by way of a toggle switch so as to easily control when the subs receive a signal or not.

If all of this is crazy talk I’m open to that too; just tell me to keep listening and embrace the limitations of my beautiful sounding system.

Adam Weeks

Well Tempered Turntable, Sumiko Blue Point 2, Schitt Mani, Stereomour II, Klipsch La Scalas

Schiit BiFrost, Bottlehead Crack/Speedball, Sennheiser HD 6xx

Offline maryc27182

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 01:15:28 PM
I connected a REL subwoofer (or, as they call it, a "sub-bass" system) to my Stereomour. REL recommends connecting to the speaker output terminals of the Stereomour, so I did that. So my speaker output terminals had wires going to the REL subwoofer, as well as wires going to my 2-way speakers.

The REL is powered, and has a crossover.

I think there are multiple solutions; this one worked well for me. Good luck!

Mary

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline maryc27182

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 01:26:14 PM
Also, there are a number of other threads on this forum which discuss ways to do this. Here's one useful one: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=10243.0

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline Tom-s

Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 10:35:32 PM
An almost free solution may come from rewiring the SII to use the full choke winding or rewiring to 45’s.
The first helped my Heresy III’s a lot. And there lots of testimonials on here for the 45’s.
You can find out how it’s done in various threads on this forum.
Costs are just a few resistors.

Offline borism

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 11:27:22 AM
We built for my son this 10' subwoofer kit:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-10-reference-series-ho-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7091
They also sell an inexpensive class D plate amplifier (Yung SD-300-6). We connected it to his solid state amplifier using the same method as Mary described through the speaker output terminals.
It is inexpensive, very high quality, sounds great and is DIY!

Boris