Buzzing in Right Channel - Damaged Headphone Jack?[1]

jt23 · 700

Offline jt23

[Apologies if this is a duplicate post, I got an error when trying to submit]

Hello,

In the past couple of days a buzzing/ringing noise has developed in the right channel of my amp. It's similar to the noise from cellphone interference, but more constant (I've tried turning off all phone/internet networks - no change) I've also plugged the power cable in different outlets etc. without differing results. I changed the headphone cables too, and have plugged the headphones into a different source with no issues; it's definitely in the amp.

The noise is present even without RCA inputs, and I've also tried cleaning the pins of both tubes plus swapping out the driver tube; no change.
I'm thinking it might be caused by a damaged headphone jack? - I clumsily bumped with my soldering iron when reheating joints a few weeks back.

I've attached a photo - is the best best just to buy a replacement jack?

Thanks for any advice,

Joel

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 09:18:17 AM
This is unlikely to be the jack, but the solder joint where the black wires meet on the jack definitely could use a touch up.

The NYS212 is the replacement jack you need.  While you could normally get one from us, it's probably best if you ordered from a larger supplier based on what's currently going on right now if you want to get it in the next two weeks.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jt23

Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:30:27 PM
Thanks PB - tried reheating the joint, no real change.

I noticed that there's a wire connected between the 3 outboard terminals of the jack, could this cause any problems? Another photo attached.

Noted re. the replacement part; I'll take a look if I can't seem to fix the issue.

Joel

Offline jt23

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 01:06:10 PM
Also, it might be worth mentioning - the ringing noticeably decreases in amplitude when rotating the amp relative to sitting position.

Joel

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 01:50:48 PM
Also, it might be worth mentioning - the ringing noticeably decreases in amplitude when rotating the amp relative to sitting position.
The connection of the three outboard terminals is supposed to be there.  If you melt the jack enough, you could definitely lose a channel, but otherwise I wouldn't expect it to make much of a difference.

If you move the amp and things change, that indicates a bad solder joint or loose hardware.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline jt23

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 02:11:31 PM
Okay! - I'll look into loose connections and bad solder joints then.

Joel