Jäger Build Notes

oguinn · 4134

Offline oguinn

Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 10:05:47 AM
This isn't typically a question I'd ask since it's probably subjective, but do you think I'd be better served with the speakers on the same wall? Right now the listening spot will be equidistant from the speakers in straight lines from the drivers, but I'm considering putting everything on the same wall and having a more conventional setup.

The reason I'm asking is two-fold: 1) It's a ton of rearranging to accomplish that setup, 2) I'd probably have to move the Stereomour into one of those cubbies, which has room for it but I'm not sure how the amp would fare with more limited airflow.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2020, 10:27:35 AM
It's pretty hard to say without actually seeing the room. Symmetry always helps in a setup, so if the setup along the wall sets the speakers up more symmetrically in relation to the room dimensions it might sound better. You really have to try it and see, though room modeling software can give you a rough idea of any major issues with resonance.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #17 on: April 08, 2020, 10:38:53 AM
Yeah, I was afraid of that answer. It’s a funky shaped room, and Room EQ Wizard doesn’t have a good model to fit it.

I will say this, though: as positioned right now these things are insanely holographic. If you blindfolded me without seeing the setup in advance I’d 100% think there was a center channel.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: April 08, 2020, 11:11:18 AM
Can you post a rough floor plan, or better yet maybe post a 360 image  of the room somewhere?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #19 on: April 08, 2020, 11:12:09 AM
Yeah, let me see what I can do.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 11:04:03 AM
Okay, here's a rough floor plan. As you can see it's an oddly shaped room. The little cove the speakers (in gold), Kallax shelves with amps (in blue), and armchair (in green) are in is 10' wide by 7'3" long.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 11:22:46 AM
Of course I'm not sure how this would work relative to traffic flow and the other things in the room, but my initial thought is put the Kallax shelves on each side wall of the alcove, put the jagers in each corner of the alcove (set in a bit from the corners in order to be clear of the shelves) and center your chair in the opening of the alcove. That would be the most symmetrical setup, which would help with any image shift you might be experiencing at various frequencies. The odd cutaway of one wall might make an awkward arrangement with the Kallax unit in front of it, but that layout is my best guess based upon the drawing.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2020, 12:15:23 PM
I'll give that a shot when I have another book case I can put in the middle. The current issue with that layout, which of course you had no way of knowing, is that the only power outlet is in the center of that middle wall and both surfaces have amps on them currently. Thinking out loud: I'd need to have a cord long enough to supply power to both shelves and/or provide enough space in a skinnier center cabinet for the amps to sit.

Question for you - the individual shelves are about 13" by 13". There's physically enough room for the Stereomour II, the BeePre, the Mainline, and the Eros in the cubbies. Is there enough space, though, for those amps not to overheat if they're closed in on the top, bottom, left, and right sides?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 02:57:25 PM
I just wanted to take a second and share some impressions.

First, let me say that I think I’m done upgrading the major parts of my system for a bit now. The Jägers have made a material difference in the sound. The detail and realism are stunning. There are new parts in old songs, and after moving my room around a bit I’m getting a beautiful holographic sound like I’ve never experienced.

The low end, I think, is great, but it won’t satisfy people who are bassheads. Maybe that’s not fair since I had a separate sub previously and leaned on it pretty heavily. I don’t miss the sub, though, since the low end I’m getting is probably closer to what it should be now. Maybe I’ll throw a sub in the mix as a test if someone around here has one to loan. But maybe I won’t, because I like the sound and I’m lazy.

I currently can’t tell a difference between powering the tweeter with the Stereomour and the woofers with the Kaiju instead of running everything with the Kaiju. When I get my cables back from Bluejeans (having them reterminated since I couldn’t for the life of me get the spade terminals they use to make a solid connection with either the Jägers or the Stereomour), I’ll test again. I’d love to have a good use for the Stereomour but won’t miss having to turn yet another amp on.

Anyway, the takeaway for me is that I love these speakers. I’m glad I bought them and I wish I was better at staining the cabinets (or maybe just more patient), but god help me if I ever have to move out of this third story office space.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 03:40:28 PM
One thing you can try on the speakers is toning lacquer. It can help to even out the high contrast in the grain, which is usually what people dislike about dark stain on birch cabinetry. I used to mix my own and use it a lot on antique radio restorations where it was often used to make the milled edges that were usually poplar blend into the walnut and other veneers that were on top of the cabinets panels. This vid has a pretty good example of what it does -

« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:44:12 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 03:46:07 PM
Oh interesting. I’ll check that out. Thanks, Doc. I hope you recover soon!

One more note: because of the shape of my room and where I sit relative to the speakers, the position of the cabinets matter a lot. For weeks I thought I was starting to go deaf in my right ear (more than I am already from a childhood injury) but I toed the right cabinet out a couple inches and the entire image shifted to the middle.

These revelations are probably obvious for most people, but this is my first set of really nice speakers where things like this matter.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 04:36:27 PM
Jameson,
     You still have your X2, don’t you? Remember, when you cross your sub(s) actively, you are adding more than just extended low end. You are relieving the mains of producing the lowest frequencies, thereby reducing distortion, eliminating duplication of frequencies and creating significant headroom. By crossing subs actively, you are improving both the bottom end and the top end.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline caffeinator

Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 04:11:44 AM
Doc, thanks for that video - very helpful and timely! I was literally just about to stain some birch ply for a worktable top and now will try the approach in the video to hopefully get a better result. Fortunately, the first stage materials (pre-stain and gel stain) were available at my neighborhood Lowe's; I may order some toning (toner?) lacquer if I can't find it locally (unlikely, since the usual suspects for more niche woodworking products are not 'essential' under the current lockdown).

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 04:49:31 AM
Mohawk is one of the more well known toning lacquers. If you can't Amazon it try someone who deals with guitar building like Stewmac.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 07:47:20 PM
Great looking speakers! Thanks for posting the tips too as I am glueing up my front baffles and have a seam too.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC