[RESOLVED] Up in Smoke (resistor between 44L and 30L)

WK3K · 2251

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
Completed a new build and resistance checks. Resistance between 8U and 8U was 1.4ohm by my (cheap) meter, so I used this as my "0" value. All resistance values were within normal limits.

Moved on to check voltage and upon plug-in the resistor between 44L and 30L sparked and smoked. I immediately pulled the plug.

I just re-ran the resistance checks, and everything checks out with the exception of 26, 28, and 29 which are now measuring around 2.3-2.6 ohm (after the resistor blew). These were all WNL last night.

I've taken a look at the solder joints throughout the high voltage supply (and everywhere really) and don't see any glaring issues.

The only other thing I can think of is that I initially installed the MJE5731A's backward and had to pull them and reinstall. They seemed fine, but may have been damaged in the process?

Never had a snag like this during a build, so any advice on where to start trouble shooting appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:56:58 PM by WK3K »

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline Jamier

Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:03:02 PM
I am recalling from memory, but is that one of the 130 ohm resistors? In the PS, right? If you can’t get those ASAP I have a bunch of those. Let me know. I can send you several, but check for shorts. I blew up one of those when voltage checking my second SII build. It happens.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline WK3K

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 04:34:04 AM
Thanks Jamie. Yes, the 130 ohm 2 watt resistors. I measured the rest of them in the power supply and they’re ok, but the one that blew is shot. I’ll got back through the circuit and double check for shorts. I didn’t see anything when I took a look yesterday, but I’ll pull out the magnifying glass. Thanks for the offer to send reinforcements, I shot you a PM.

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 04:38:30 AM
Please post some photos of your build. I suspect you either have a backwards power supply cap or you have the fat pins on one or both of the 2A3s plugged into the wrong holes in the 4 pin socket.  You have to push pretty hard to get the tube to fit in like this, but it is ultimately possible to force the tube in, then you'll start blowing resistors.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline WK3K

Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:29:17 AM
Hi PB,

I double checked the items you suggested.
  • Caps are all oriented correctly.
  • I checked the pins on the 2A3's multiple times as this point is emphasized quite well in the manual. I even checked them again when I removed them after the resistor popped and they were 100% oriented correctly (fat pins to the back). The tubes installed easily.

EDIT: Was able to get images uploaded. Originals were apparently too large.

Thanks,
Witold
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:57:07 AM by WK3K »

Witold

Offline Tom-s

Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:08:13 AM
Witold.
Look from all sides for wires that are touching.
There must be something shorted (to ground) that causes the excess current draw.

Maybe redo resistance checks now, to see if anything has changed?

Offline WK3K

Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 08:59:34 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the advice. Just looked at everything again. The resistor to B7 *might* have been touching B8, but that's the only thing I saw. I decided just to reflow each terminal to be doubly sure there were no cold joints.

I redid resistance checks — this time 8U to 8U was exactly 1.0 so I'm using that as my "0" value (previously was 1.4 - I'm guessing this is just a meter thing). Either way, every terminal was within 1-2% of it's value with all "0" values right at 1.0.

Witold

Offline Jamier

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 09:17:01 AM
Witold,

Did you PM me? Where do I look for that? My personal email or somewhere on this forum? It may just be the perspective of the photo but the resistor (so possibly the lead) in question looks pretty close to the can(and possibly the leads) of that 100uF cap and possibly the leads of the preceding 220uF cap.

Jamie
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:22:40 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 09:24:24 AM
The image size thing is something we need to work on.  Could you try uploading a top shot that isn't reduced by so much? 

With the 130 ohm resistor that got hot, are its leads touching any metal that they wouldn't otherwise be connected to? 

After an inspection of the overhead shot with more resolution, I can provide you with some steps to split the circuit in half to see which half is causing your issues. 

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 10:50:34 AM
Image upload size has been set to unlimited for a long time. There a lots of 6MP and larger images being posted on a regular basis, as witnessed in people saying they are huge when they open them in the Chrome browser (requiring opening them in a new tab). I believe the actual issue may be trying to load multiple images into a single post, but there is no way to control that in the forum admin control panel. Anyway, it's a bug of the forum software.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 10:57:23 AM
My computer takes a little time to load pics in the 3mb and higher res, but if someone links photos to imgur I can see the page but the pics are solid black. Rats.

Lee R.

Offline WK3K

Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:09 AM
Hey all. First off, thanks for everyone jumping in and helping on a Saturday.

Jamie: I think the PM should go to the email that you have associated with your forum account. If you click "Profile" you'll see a little envelope where members can send you a note. Same thing if you click another member's profile. I'm pretty sure it's a perspective thing in the photo as the resistor goes down to the lower terminals and the caps are perched on the top of the upper terminals. There's a good gap there IRL.

PJ: I see no contacts on the blown resistor other than 270K resistor that shares 44L, the 130 resistor that shares 30L, and the 130 resistor that goes from 44L to 31L. The 130 ohm resistor that shares 44L and goes to 31L is just fine, so that might provide a clue?

Doc: Understand the limitations. I'll give it another go with images. I tried some single photos at full size and they produced the same error. Maybe it was just a timeout? I'll give it another try. [EDIT: worked to post one at a time by posting the text first and then "modifying" the post and adding attachments 1 by 1]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:13:16 AM by WK3K »

Witold

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 11:29:56 AM
Could have been a timeout. Our webhost has been staving off DDoS attacks the past week and there have been some short service interruptions.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jamier

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 12:23:48 PM
Witold,

I did not get your email. Try emailing me from your email providers webpage. I emailed you this AM from the forum's member page, did you get that? My correct email is the one that appears on the members page in this forum. If that doesn't work we will figure something else out to get you those resistors. Don't post your personal info directly in this thread! You probably know that already though.

Also, when you remove the bad resistor consider clipping the leads with plenty of length so you can create a hook on the lead to attach the new resistor to. This will leave the solder joint at the terminal strip undisturbed and anything else that is connected to it. I think the bleeders are connected there, I don't remember exactly.Also, clear this with PB. I did this when i replaced my blown 130/2W and it worked out well, but maybe he feels differently about this. I attached a photo of my repaired
130/2W.

Jamie
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:44:20 PM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline WK3K

Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 12:53:42 PM
Hey Jamie,

I didn't get your email either — even checked spam, made sure my forum account was allowing mail, etc.... I tried to resend again (I discovered the actual email isn't displayed to other members, just the link to the form), so fingers crossed something gets through. I'll give it 24 hours and see if it shakes its way through the internet. If not, I'll try to send a note by raven or owl or smoke signals.

I like the idea on the hook for the resistor — it will be tough to work under all those caps and 44L is a little crowded with that 270K resistor in addition to the 130's. I'll let PB add his two cents, but that will certainly make it easier if (heaven forbid) it blows again.

Witold