Help with 60Hz hum in Foreplay I in custom chassis

atalcott · 12542

Offline atalcott

Reply #45 on: September 03, 2020, 08:54:00 AM
Got the new PT and swapped it in, but it turns out that wasn’t the problem. With the tube in or out, the new one also measures about 65vac and 10.5vac when hooked up to the rectifier bridge. Unhooked, the voltages are normal. Something must be pulling a bunch of current to drag the voltages down, yes? I’ve been over and over the rectifier bridge and I’m sure I have the diodes oriented correctly now.

Looking back through the thread here again I note you said I needed a pair of PN2222 transistors. At the time I skimmed over the fact that that part number is different from the 2N2222As in the original Anticipation upgrade, and I used new 2N2222As with the S.E.X. CS4 board. The specs on the two look the same except the collector current is 1A with the PN2222 but .625A with the 2N222A, but could that be it. Pic of the board attached. Could a damaged rectifier cause this?

Thanks again for all your help. If it's ok for me to seek help elsewhere, including posting the schematic, let me know. I'd love to relieve you of the burden of dealing with my shenanigans since this isn't an actual product you should have to support, but I've been reluctant to post elsewhere out of concerns about distributing proprietary info.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #46 on: September 03, 2020, 09:03:50 AM
The differences between those transistors isn't critical.

How are the voltages with no tubes in the sockets?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #47 on: September 03, 2020, 09:05:48 AM
Please do not post our schematics or other IP. It sounds like you may have bad rectifiers.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline atalcott

Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 09:30:46 AM
Please do not post our schematics or other IP. It sounds like you may have bad rectifiers.

Roger that.

I’ll try replacing the rectifiers.

Without the (single) tube in the socket the main secondary measures about 65vac where it attaches to the rectifier bridge. The heater winding measures 10.5vac at the socket. With the tube in the primary winding starts at about 63vac then falls gradually. I haven’t run it for long enough to see how far it’ll fall but within say 10 seconds it drops to the mid 50s.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 10:04:42 AM
You probably have a blown rectifier diode.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline atalcott

Reply #50 on: November 04, 2020, 01:37:32 PM
I've been listening to this for a few weeks now after sorting out this last problem. It sounds great with the KT550 and I'm planning on sticking with it long term. There's still a tiny amount of hum through 96db sensitive speakers, so I'm thinking I'll re-chassis it with a saner layout.

If I didn't have to use that PT, I would just run more current.  More voltage doesn't really matter IMO.

If I stepped up to, say, a Hammond 262D6 (12va 120V secondary @ 53 ma), that should keep the voltage in the same range and not require beefing up the PS caps, but though I understand I'd need to lower the value of the R1 to let the CCS draw more current, I'm not sure how to calculate what value needed, and if any changes would be needed in R2 and the bias resistor. Would you be willing to give me any guidance on what those values should be? No worries if not, but no hard in asking.

Thanks again for all the help with this. It's been a great learning experience.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #51 on: November 04, 2020, 03:44:29 PM
The 6.3V heater winding needs a ground reference of some kind, which I didn't draw into the original schematic.  How did you end up dealing with that in your build?  That may be all that's left to get nice and quiet.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline atalcott

Reply #52 on: November 05, 2020, 06:19:37 AM
I just copied the original Foreplay I circuit and so have a 68k resistor in parallel with a .1mfd cap from pin 9 to the same ground point as the CS4. The input/output ground is the only thing "upstream" from that point, and is also the chassis ground.

So do you think I wouldn't see much or any improvement by running more current and moving the load 12AU7 load line up a bit?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #53 on: November 05, 2020, 06:59:41 AM
So do you think I wouldn't see much or any improvement by running more current and moving the load 12AU7 load line up a bit?
Probably not. 

Your volume pot also works best when mounted to metal and can get noisy if mounted to wood without some kind of connection to bond it to the chassis earth.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline atalcott

Reply #54 on: November 06, 2020, 04:09:17 PM
Alright I’ll leave the PT alone then. Thank you for the feedback.

The volume pot body is grounded to the chassis. This buffer was a separate build from the Foreplay I I posted pics of at the beginning of this thread, and there’s no wood involved in this one. The chassis I made for the buffer is just some cobbled together steel plates and it’s pretty ugly. I want to put it in a proper chassis anyway, so I’ll take the opportunity to revise the layout a bit and in the process track down that last bit of hum.

Offline atalcott

Reply #55 on: November 15, 2020, 03:26:49 PM
Here she is in the new chassis. It's dead quiet now and sounds great. Calling this project a wrap.

Thanks again for all the help. It's been an awesome learning experience.